O/T: It's MUGGY

It's MUGGY tonight in SoCal.

Very unusual for SoCal.

If I didn't know better, I'd swear I was in corn growing country back in the Midwest.

Another couple of days of this and you will be able to hear the corn growing if you're in North Central Illinois driving from Chicago to St Louis.

From what I hear, this is going to be a good corn year.

Hope it is a good year for corn, but they don't grow corn here in SoCal.

I'll take the low humidity typical most of the year here in SoCal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

FWIW, It's rained just about every day for a week now here in the midwest (IN). One evening we even had fog, which is pretty rare.

Reply to
Bill

--------------------------------------------------- My cousin, a grain farmer in North Central IN, isn't complaining, especially when he just missed those tornados that hit his neighbors.

Couple of weeks ago, they got 5+" of rain overnight at the Ag station in Wooster, OH (50 miles South of Cleveland, 30 miles west of the Football Hall of Fame in Canton).

It was within 1" of what SoCal got for the whole year this year which was about 6+".

Normal year is about 12"-14".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's raining here in Carlsbad, CA. If it keeps up at this rate for a few more days, we might have a measurable amount.

mahalo, jo4hn [as he moves stage left into the paper mache sunset whilst singing "raindrips keep falling on my "]

Reply to
jo4hn

Meanwhile here in the NW of England, it's 26 degrees Celsius and clear blue skies. I could get used to this :-)

Reply to
pastedavid

Not out of the ordinary the last 15 years or so to go from May 24 to labour day with less than 2 inches of rain here in central Ontario. "if the lawn is green in August, its not grass" - this year it's been raining at least weekly - the lawn grows 3 or 4 inches a week, and lots of fields are under water. Toronto Airport got over 5 inches of rain in 2 hours - more than Hurricane Hazel dumped in total back in

1954. A couple weeks back the "holland marsh" vegetable growing area flooded - some areas under 10 feet of water.
Reply to
clare

I know what that is like. It has been 80% 80degrees and that is after the sun heats up the air a bit to steam out the place.

Mart> It's MUGGY tonight in SoCal.

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Tell me about it, that was scary, I am close to Pearson, 6 hour power outage and no basement leaks, I consider myself lucky.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

---------------------------------------------------------------------------- Back when I lived in Northern Ohio, anything less than 1/4" rain per week was considered a drought.

It was time to water the lawns.

BTW how did the asparagus farmers NE of Peterbourgh make out?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Got a fiend on Rice Lake, they got nothing of the drench we got in Toronto.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

On Thu, 11 Jul 2013 23:03:55 -0400, FrozenNorth

I went through four hours of aggravation and consider myself lucky compared to many.

- After a hospital appointment, waited 40 minutes for it to let up enough to dash for the subway.

- Waited 45 minutes for the subway only to have it cancelled system wide.

- Wandered around for an hour in a mall while waiting for Wheeltrans.

- Then they told me they couldn't get me a ride.

- Got soaked again going back to the hospital looking for a ride.

- Got lucky, a friend saw me sitting by the side of the road and gave me a ride home.

All it cost me was four hours and a soaking. Power was on and elevators were working when I got home and that's it. I was lucky compared to thousands of others.

Reply to
none

FWIW, it hasn't rained on us (SW KS) in nearly a month and we've had barely 3" for the year...on YTD we're behind even the worst of the dirty-30's...otoh, it has finally this year (as opposed to previous two) rained some in the middle/eastern parts of the state as well as OK/NE...

Reply to
dpb

It is interesting how the weather is cyclic. After a number of years with low rain Fort Wayne Indiana is getting a lot of rain like much of the eastern US.

I found an article in the Reading Eagle dated June 18 1868 (Reading Pennsylvania) about the storms in the Fort Wayne area. It is described as "the most terrible thunder and rain storms that have ever been witnessed."

It goes on to say that one man was killed during the storm. It continues talk about the hundreds of feet of railroad track destroyed and bridges washed out. It talks about many families "washed" out of their homes. It finishes by say the destruction to property is immense and they have no idea of the cost as it has not yet been assessed.

Interesting nearly 100 years later with the use of current phraseology, the story could have be taken from any newspaper today

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:krosva$lun$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

Nonsense. You must have made that up. Everyone knows that severe weather events are caused by manmade global warming, and never occurred prior to the Bush2 administration.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Somehow I feel deprived. I have never even seen a subway except on TV. The last (and only) time I have ridden in a taxi was in Osaka

1981. There is only one elevator in town--in the courthouse. It has two stories.
Reply to
G. Ross

On Fri, 12 Jul 2013 09:00:15 -0400, "G. Ross"

Sounds like a town where everyone knows everyone else. I can think of some distinct advantages to that. Guess there's some disadvantages as well.

Reply to
none

I believe the advantages of a rural area far out weigh the disadvantages, In fact right now I can think of no disadvantages. I live about 20 miles from Raleigh NC. The only time we go downtown, is when there is no alternative.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Must be why the corn is WAY more than knee high and it wasn't even the 4th of July (I was in Indiana end of June).

Lots of foggy mornings too, I remember that as normal.

Reply to
dadiOH

You are welcome to it, Lew. I was in Oregon & Washington the first week of July...it was so dry my legs were itching like crazy, all red and almost raw. I would have been oozing blood if I hadn't kept them lathered with hand lotion.

Reply to
dadiOH

Not trying to top you but I remember a year when Hilo, Hawaii got 72" - yes,

72 INCHES - of rain in a week.
Reply to
dadiOH