O/T: Food For New Years

Tradition has it you eat cabbage on New Years Day.

Those of you who are Kosher will have to modify, sorry about that.

Cabbage and Spuds

1 Lb, Smoked sausage, cut into 1/2" pieces 1 Hd, Cabbage, cleaned and chopped (I don't eat the core) 5-6, White potatoes, pealed and cubed. 1 Lg, Spanish onion, cleaned and chopped 3-4 stalks, Celery, cleaned and chopped 1 Pint, Chicken stock (Bullion cubes and water will also work, just adjust salt content) 2-3 Tbl, Olive Oil 1 tps, Fresh cracked black pepper 1 Tbl, Kosher salt

Preparation:

Using a 6 Qt, cast iron Dutch oven with olive oil in bottom, saute onion and celery for about 3-4 minutes, then add sausage pieces for an additional 3-4 minutes.

Stir and add salt and pepper as you saute.

Add chicken stock and potato cubes, mixing completely.

Cover with Dutch oven lid and place in a 350F oven for 30 minutes, then remove from oven and let rest for about 30-45 minutes for serving.

Serve with a salad and French bread, if desired.

Since I created the above, after raiding the refrigerator one day, I call it "Cabbage and Spuds".

BTW, much tastier the next day.

If you don't like that one, there is always bacon and fried cabbage.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Dude... you forgot the last, important item: CLEAR the neighbourhood!!!! Do NOT ride elevators with these people!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote>

Dude... you forgot the last, important item: CLEAR the neighbourhood!!!! Do NOT ride elevators with these people!!!

Same applies to beer, so not to worry.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

My oldest daughter is a Texan (due to short 5-yr excursion on my part during the oil exploration boom/bust in the early 1980's). The tradition there is to eat black-eyed peas and champagne, first thing on New Year's Day. Which translates to "right after midnight NewYear's Eve".

Better than cabbage. By a long shot.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

Which one?

Mine does herring, the youalls do blackeyed peaas, and so on.

Reply to
George

Reply to
marc rosen

NAW! It's Tamale's, Black eyed Peas, and Corn bread

Reply to
Leon

Works for mre, enjoy

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Sounds yummy,

Gotta try it,

Thank you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I can handle legumes as long as ya got some ham hocks in with them.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Now you've got me to puzzlin'. Is there an extra/typo "r" in "mre" or are you saying that soldier food ain't kosher? mull, mull, mull... jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Robatoy wrote in news:f8881107-49f6-439c-a318- snipped-for-privacy@e6g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I hope Jennifer makes some of those too ...

Maybe I'll post a picture of tonight's oliebollen.

Reply to
Han

That would be mean...LOL

*drooling*
Reply to
Robatoy

"mre"......

Yep

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Max

Reply to
Max

I'll pass.

OTOH, Sauer kraut & Knockers..........

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

N O !

I live in Mexico and still can't stand that stuff... We had some really excellent Mexican beef last night... Nice, thick rib eyes, char broiled... EXCELLENT!

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

I've had menudo every New Years morning for the last 10 (at least) years. Then Tamales, asaderos, & capirotada for the mid day meal. (all homemade)

YESSSS.

Max (an old El Pasoan)

Reply to
Max

If she's got good knockers, to hell with the sauerkraut!

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Happy New Year!

Today we has the typical Carolina lowcountry New Year's day meal.

Pork Collards with ham hocks corn bread hoppin john

yum!

Skip

Skip Williams