Re: New Years Resolutions.

1) Change the radio station on Jan. 01 2009.

> > 2) Being able to change the radio station on > Dec.31 2009. > > 3) Afford a radio. > > Happy New Year!!!!

What's a radio?

Happy New Year right back at you, Ken!

RicodJour

I bought 24 little bottles (375ml) of budwiser. They was good.

Reply to
creative1986

HNY, guys. I got the jump on 2009 in NZ (here until Jan. 31), and with finally beginning my relearning of ACAD in Dec 2008. I'm now about to try some more object/3D face-oriented 3D modeling with it, and how to make it so that a block goes to a another layer and changes color when I insist.

@Ken et al.: I know that only one side of the moon faces us, but might there be a touch more of it noticeable (if not with the naked eye) down here? Anything you might like me to check out in that regard (constellations)? (Remember Pat Burns on CKO news and information radio?)

Suggestions for useful house-design/ACAD qualifications for architecture welcomed, btw. (Blocks? 3D? XREFs? Efficiency? ;)

Reply to
glomerol

Hi Ken, I know-- I'm Warm Worm (Rich) :) Google groups seems to be posting with just my address. I'm designing a house as we speak and might post some CAD models or renders. Hey; might you (or?) know of the best (fast/easy/simple and/or strongest?) joints for post and beams (timberframe construction)-- especially for the trusses (or whatever they're called, where the roof meets the walls)?

Reply to
glomerol

Yes, 1/4" thick angle iron, use 1/2" throughbolts/washers/locknuts all the way around, will supercede any code.

Reply to
creative1986

Ok, thanks. I'm thinking about the whole thing being all wood joints-- or at least where the code allows. One (of many a YouTube) example:

These houses seem more like furniture than anything, which appeals. They somehow seem to create less of a desire for too much furniture.

I'm trying unsuccessfully to upload a "saltbox" design preview to my site. I might have to wait 'till I get back home.

Reply to
glomerol

Well, yeah, its supposed to be strong. Its a major joint. Elmers glue is *sufficient* in certain parts of Appalachia. As far as I'm concerned, if you are happy with what you used than so am I. BTW: How did you have enough room to get your drill in between the rafters? I've done what you did before but only on one side before the next rafter was installed. Didn't have enough room to get the screw, bit and drill in between rafters at 16" centers.

Reply to
creative1986

Then you should take a close look at how quality furniture is designed and built. Two things to consider is that no only are the rafters pushing down with weight they are also pushing out, trying to spread the walls apart, so that should be a consideration in the joinery. Perhaps some sort of vertical peg or tenon through the top plate (beam) and rafter. Research timberframe construction. A site called yestermorrow may have more info. BTW: Timberframe has a very narrow market due to the economics of the thing.

Reply to
creative1986

I thought about that and indeed will.

Agreed.

I'll check it out-- thanks.

So I've heard, but it seems to be coming down in cost for some reasons that might include (some kinds of) forestry practices.

As mentioned, here's a screenshot of a work in progress.

glomerol

te:

re the roof

Their internship looks intriguing... Bookmarked.

ca/~rmacinty/house.gif

Something like that, yes. Feel free.

Reply to
glomerol

ote:

AD models or

where the roof

Cool. There are all kinds of joints. I'm fine with some kinds of metal fasteners actually.

Reply to
glomerol

example:

progress.http://www.sfu.ca/~rmacinty/house.gif>>>>> I think I get the picture :-), looks like you need

I might do that if I have the time and wherewithal, or simply leave it to the architect. I'm just a designer remember. :)

I'm thinking of having the posts inside the house with about 6" away from the inside of the exterior walls. That way the beauty of the wood is well-exposed. I happen to like old countryside architecture like barns and some kinds of sheds-- even the ones that look craggly and whatnot. Ghost Towns too. I hear Ontario has lots. :)

Reply to
Warm Worm

example:

progress.http://www.sfu.ca/~rmacinty/house.gif>>>>>>> I think I get the picture :-), looks like you need

Absolutely! I couldn't bear to use post and beams as merely decorative elements. There's a new library in North Vancouver that uses wood(?) like that and I quite dislike it. I hope it's not real wood. It looks like a bunch of logs tacked onto the side of an office building... actually, here it is:

ok inside, if somewhat dull and "sterile"-feeling.

It's really cute Ken-- nice work. I'd like to maybe one day somehow get involved with that recycled-house guy of the post I posted, as well as with this guy:

I think these guys are where it's at. Some architects (and designers) really do seem to sell out their soul and creativity sometimes to "monstrosities".

So I hear. Nothing a little mopping, scrubbing, sweeping, sandblasting and a few good coats of paint might not fix.

Yes, I'm back and as a Warm Worm in currently-sunny Vancouver. I'm posting this from Artigiano's cafe on Hornby near Robson... sitting near the window roughly where that guy is standing in line where the black door or window can be seen across the street. :D

...So what's new in the Okanagan. When I was down south, I saw a camper called The Okanagan.

Reply to
Warm Worm

Forgot the link:

Warm Worm

I now have a Ryobi 18v angle drill that is only about 4" + the bit. No speed control though and it torques pretty high so it can injure your wrist right quick if your not prepared for it.

Reply to
creative1986

e:

rote:

models or

here the roof

u.ca/~rmacinty/house.gif

creative1986

ote:

AD models or

where the roof

That's Amy. :) Without the spontaneous and good-natured cooperation of her and her friend

I doubt my shot would have been nearly as effective.

Reply to
glomerol

te:

re the roof

I spike minimally. For the heavy lifting I drag out this thing:

creative1986