NOT a painter .. ping: Nailshooter, et al

Here ... hold my beer and watch this! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

You "exceeded my expectations"! Nice job!

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You mean my rattle can advice wasn't good enough!?!? :-D

Looks to be about the same (perhaps a notch better) texture that I got on the bookcases I installed yesterday. I'm sure your client will be thrilled... mine was. Sometimes (most times) the standard to which we hold ourselves is a lot higher than consumer expectation in this world of Ikea and the $399 armoire.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Thank you, Bill ... mine too. Strained both me, and my little Earlex Spray Station 5000 HVLP, to the max of both our abilities.

Robert/Nailshooter gets all the credit ... I just waved the wand (and not a very good job of that).

Reply to
Swingman

Hell, I was thinking along those lines myself .. great minds, wot? :)

And I appreciate the effort.

Then, a more experienced-in-the-matter mind than either of us enters the picture.

The problem, as Robert explained it after I went through the clients use of the product (which he had the foresight to request before making any recommendation ... _a dead giveaway of both knowledge and experience_ ), is that none of the "rattle can" products will stand up to the client's (a corporate awards company with offices in several states) intended use ... the likelihood of multiple applications of stick-on lettering, which, with that type of finish, will have a tendency to both craze and/or lift/peel the finish over time.

Couldn't take the the chance ... it's my name/reputation that goes in/on it.

Texture, and the rattle cans took a back seat to that ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Just to be clear, I only "rattled" the flats of the shelves. All the faces and framework was HVLP. I hope to get good enough to one day look back at the results I achieved as "botched." :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

I am sure it looks much better to everyone else than it does to you. Looking at the pics, it looks like it turned out great! With a bit of rake light on it, the gloss looks even and without holidays, which is what folks see first. Success!!

You are much to generous. First, glad to help. Second, YOU did all the work. I was glad I had an product in the aresenal that would work for you. Sometimes identifying the product to be used is half the battle, along with the ensuing logistics for its successful application.

And my typing fingers were lubricated with the thoughts of the next bowl or three of gumbo.... ;^)

Seriously, it looks great and I am sure the clients will be thrilled. Good job.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

------------------------------------------------------------ Compared to me, you are an absolute lover of painting.

Looks like you got away with one.

Congrats.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Looks good. I'd say you owe nailshooter a six pack. Or maybe a fifth of a nice, single malt Scotch whisky. The Glenlivet is smooth...

Reply to
dadiOH

------------------------------------ Especially when cut 50/50 with Drambuie over ice.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Nah.... I think I am still probably a couple of gallons of home made gumbo ahead of the game.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Nah.... I think I am still probably a couple of gallons of home made gumbo ahead of the game.

------------------------------------ Whatever floats your boat,

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Thanks, Lew ... it's more: "Damn, I dodged almost all of that bullet!" :)

Reply to
Swingman

In case you missed it, here's what "floats the boat" around here ... AND, you can barely make out the top of the gumbo pot just above Leon's hat:

Swingman

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

------------------------------------------------------------------------ Are those "gumbo condiments" on the table coonass specific?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

... shoot shellac:

Swingman

NIce work. Looks like a top notch finish.

How did your plaque go over with your client, and how did your method and end product turn out?

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Met the deadline, was moderately satisfied with my 'finishing' part, but the client absolutely loved it ... that's all that counts.

Sure was nice to get back to spraying shellac, though. Although I did learn a thing or two, thanks to you, that made me a wee bit better spray finisher ... but still miles from being a Spray Whisperer/Nina. ;)

Onward to another project ... just got back from meeting with an Architect on a bath cabinet job ... NO finishing!

But I do have a dining room chair reproduction job upcoming (measuring next week) that will require a finish matching existing chairs ... just hope they're fire engine red. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Got to admit Karl, those are fine looking chairs.

Reply to
Dave