Norm's dovetail jig

In the episode this past weekend in which Norm was building a kithen island I noticed he was using what appeared to be a Porter-Cable dovetail jig. I assume that his use of that jig was merely to please one of the program's underwriters.

Dick Durbin Tallahassee

Reply to
Olebiker

I dont have any problem with that, My question is why do they have commercials on during NASCAR Races?? It appears to me that is a constant commerical slide show to the left...

Reply to
Rick Cox

Along with everything else in his shop. I did see a Dewalt right angle drill there one (P-C doesn't make one?). He had better please the underwriters if he expects to keep doing the show. Jim

Reply to
Jim

I've seen Nahm use the Omnijig and the Leigh. LRod's seen him use a few others including the Katie

like you, don't know what's in his head - but I personally would have reached a different conclusion. I think he is open and willing to give a new product a try - but if he really believes it inferior, he doesn't use it - sponsor or not. The Lamello, pops into my mind as an example.

Was it one of the new PC Dovetail Jigs? The new Omni has movable pins ala the D4.

Reply to
patrick conroy

If you do assume that, you haven't been watching Norm for very long, and you've never visited the Norm section of my website where all of that is explained.

Aren't you the senator from Illinois? What are you doing in my state capitol?

Reply to
LRod

I'm betting he used that jig because he needed to make DT joints.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, I've been watching it from the first episode. I have to admit that I am impressed with Norm's willingness to use tools not provided by one of the underwriters. e.g. Lamello biscuit jointer and the laser guided miter saw that he used years after it had been discontinued.

I used to do a lot of bass fishing. Bass pros are notorious for not letting anyone see them using a lure or piece of tackle not provided by a sponsor. I met the late Billy Westmoreland on a lake in Kentucky several years ago. I had just watched him catch a couple of big smallmouth and, when he passed us, I asked him what he was catching them on. He idled over to us, gave us a couple of lures called a Silver Buddy, and took a few minutes to explain how to fish them. He told us that it was the best smallmouth lure he had ever used but, since the company was small and could not afford to sponsor him, he did not use them on TV.

Looking for a place to buy hardwood. Do you have any in your part of Florida. I have to drive 1 1/2 hours to find anythin. Back before folks got this Internet thing figured out, I used to get a lot of E-mail destined for the Senator.

Dick

Reply to
Olebiker
[...]

Via Bitnet, decnet, uucp or what?

Reply to
Juergen Hannappel

Ha, ha. The laser guided miter saw was by Porter-Cable. The new one is a Delta.

On my website I have a Hall of Fame of tools that Norm has used more than 50 times (out of 207 episodes). There are 23 tools on it (out of more than 230 used), and ten of them are from manufacturers other than the underwriters. They include Bosch, Makita, Bessey (three times), Senco, Star, Tru-Grip, and the Lamello

None of my sources would do you any good, since they're over here on the east coast. Try

It's not absolutely inclusive, because I think it's like the Yellow Pages, but it may have something.

Also, there's a fellow on WoodCentral named Jim Reed that lives in TLH. He's only been there about a year, so may not have discovered all the good places, but you might try coming over there and pinging him.

Maybe you could give Woodmizer a call and see who's in your area. That's a service they provide, both for their customers and to get recommendations to potential new customers. I had a guy stop by my house looking at some tools I had for sale and he has a Woodmizer mill not very far from where I live. He told me that within a 40 or 50 mile radiius of Ormond Beach there were perhaps 25 band mills. Might be a few in your area.

Reply to
LRod

Not that far back. When we non-technical types got started using the Internet in the mid-90s, folks just did a search on Dick Durbin, got my E-mail address, and assumed that it was the Senator.

Dick

Reply to
Olebiker

I wish some one would under right me, I would love a shop of Delta and PC tools,

Reply to
Richard Clements

To a degree I agree. However, when Norm pulls out that crappy little Delta joiner instead of using his DJ20 and runs a 6 foot long board through it, it's to please the sponsors. You can always tell when the sponsors get on him, because he usually showcases all their crappy tools in 1 or 2 shows and then goes back to what he wants to use.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

I was talking to my local Delta / PC rep (now the Delta/PC/Dewalt rep) about a year ago. He said that they figure Norm is almost single handedly responsible for the sudden HUGE market demand for laser-anything attachments - all from his simple mitre saw from like 15 years ago. One of the most commonly asked questions (until recently) to Norm was "where can I get a laser attachment for my mitre saw?"

Interesting the way that all turned around.

Brian

Reply to
B Man

Gitcha some plaid shirts, a leather tool apron, lose the ability to say "saw", and learn how to show people that woodworking is not some sort of black art that you need to apprentice half your life to learn.....

Reply to
Olebiker

While driving through Perry, FL yesterday I found a sawmill that had a lot of sinker cypress and a little bit of hardwoods. I bought one black walnut board to play with and will go back next Saturday to sort through his stacks to see if he has enough for me to make the small table I am planning to build. That is, if I can ever get ahead of LOML's honey-do list.

Dick

Reply to
Olebiker

ya but I was looking for an easy way