Norm'ed out???...

Ok, I am WAY behind on new technology. The other day, I picked up my first DVD recorder at Costco for $180. See, I'm building this entertainment center (I'll post some pics a little later in ABPW), so I thought that it would be real nice to have one of these things.

I have about 200 episodes of Norm from 1989 to present - missing about 18 or 19 I think. Some taped from PBS on their original air date, some from HGTV when they were still showing them. Some EP ;-((but some SP!)

Anyhow, I have these 200 "shows". Thought it would be cool to transfer them "in the original order" to DVD. Why original order? If you're asking, then you're not anal enough to be collecting Norm!

A couple of observations (still in season 1 (1989)):

  1. Norm was a lot fatter back then (opposite for me.)
  2. No Bessey's, just pipes.
  3. No brad nailer, just a hammer & 4 pennys.
  4. No guard on his TS (now either) - sorry, me too.
  5. At this point, I figure that I am about 10 years behind Norm - but I was 30+ behind when I started watching.

Of course, LRod's site is the best for NYW info, but I am going to be watching (as I record) all 200 episodes in order.

Hope I don't get Norm'ed out. My goal is to have them all tranferred to DVD before the new season (Jan '06), so I can record them direct to DVD.

Why do this?

Don't know exactly - but I did learn a lot from them over the years.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Sneeeeeip

Because the recorder is new and fun.

I just got threw recording 18 James Bond movies on my DVR. I then recorded these from the DVR to DVD-RAM disks. I then edited the comertials out of the RAM Disks and because DVD-R is so cheaper compared to RAM disks I played the RAM disks on my Carosel DVD player and re-re-recorded them from the Edited RAM disks to the DVD-R disks. Whew.

I am definitely James Bonded out. I am only missing 2 of the series.

Reply to
Leon

That plus VHS tapes degrade/fail with time. Get them onto the DVDs ASAP or down the road they may not be playable at all

John

Reply to
john

Going off on a slight tangent here. I have hundreds of vinyl records that I will not transfer to CD simply because I know the vinyl has lasted 25-30 years. We cannot say the same about CD's...yet. Question: Do you watch your DVD's in your BVD's? Have fun. Joe

loutent wrote:

Reply to
Joe_Stein

But will they last another 25 years if you play them?

Once huge difference is the method of play. records are in contact with a stylus and eventually it has to wear out. with a CD, there is not physical contact. In theory, if the material is stable and does not crack, they will last forever no matter how many times they are layer. Make and play the CD and save the vinyl as backup.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As any good collector of anything knows, you don't collect stuff to USE it, you collect it to HAVE it. So playing the vinyl is completely irrelevant here.

Reply to
Michael Campbell

I've heard as low as 10 years for cheap disks.

George Shouse

It's not just cracking that needs to be considered, it's also whether the plastics will yellow over time such that their optical properties change, rendering the disk unreadable. Suspect that this is going to be brand and material dependant.

Mark & Juanita

DVD's pah.... hard disks and mpegs are the future I am now legacy free in my living room, not a single tape cd or dvd in site. I have ripped my entire collection of disks 100+ dvd's and 400+ cd's to my PC server, that also contains all my digital photos. Under my tv I have an XBOX running xboxmediacenter that connects to the server and can view and play the entire collection all via remote control no searching for disks. Oh and its a pretty good games machine too.

does anyone remeber an episode of the simpsons, homer was at the dump getting rid of somthing... first he drives past a pile with a sign '8-tracks here' then a pile with 'VHS here' and then an empty space saying 'reserved for DVD'...

Reply to
Tombo

TDK predicts 70 years. Kodak says 100 years. Looks like they'll outlast me.

no(SPAM)vasys

What is the possibility of losing all in a crash? What do you back it up to? I would think a mirror drive of some sort would give good protection. Sounds like a handy way of storing everything in a small space and easily accessed.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Lots of people still don't want to spend a few grand on hard disks when a DVD player is $50. But, I'm with you on the audio.

Reply to
George Shouse

Delkin also has new disks that are 100 years. Pricey.

Bob by Chicago

Not too worried about a crash the only thing i would really miss would be my digi photos so i have several backups on DVD. If i lose the movies and music i will have to re-rip my disks :( not an appealing prospect as it would take a while but i could always play the original if i had to.

George Shouse wrote: >

Ive not spent a lot on my config, my server pc is a 5 year old 1200 Mhz that got replaced by my new pc, and i had an xbox anyway. The cost to me was an extra 250gig hard drive. Since doing this i have actually saved money cause my kids regularly trashed DVD's i am on my third copy of the lion king, wont be doing that again.

Tom

Reply to
Tombo