Norm could learn from David

I'm more impressed every time I see Woodworks. Norm's good, but David Marks work is better.

I've built some of Norm's stuff. The projects look good and have been very useful.

David's stuff is at a level above Norms. Much more artistic & creative. And very clever at getting things together, like the carved bubinga mirror just on DIY this week. And he used HANDTOOLS, something that Norm seems to actively disdain.

What do you think?

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I think you better look over your shoulder. LRod is going to get you for bad mouthing his hero.

Reply to
Steve

I don't think it's so much a matter of skill, i.e. one better than the other. Rather they have different goals. Marks makes works of art, very fine pieces of furniture you'd display in your formal living room. His show seems to target the more advanced wood worker (or at least intermediate) and projects seem to be a bit more time consuming and expensive.

Norm makes more practical, every day use stuff you'd put in the family room. Also, Norm's projects seems to more target the beginner or intermediate worker, and could be done in a brief period of time and lower budget.

Each guy just makes different stuff, targeted at different audiences. I like 'em both, and learn a lot from both.

Robert

Reply to
Robert C. Cain

Take a look at

You'll find that David really is an artist. As in, he has pieces showing in a number of galleries, has won awards, and has participated in many exhibitions.

After looking at the pieces on his site, I now know that he's actually simplifying many things for his television audience. Which is fine. I'm sure it's difficult to come up with useful, aesthetically pleasing projects who's construction can be demonstrated in a half-hour show.

As far as David's tools go, he comforably bounces from one extreme to another. From cutting out a huge template on his bandsawrus to using a simple hand scraper. He even sells his own multirouter for making various joints. He certainly isn't shy about using the monster machines he has at his command, but yes, he probably uses hand tools more often than Norm.

Reply to
Joe Wells

I tend to like David's stuff better too, but it's just personal opinion. My roots are as a designer (my day-job is a web designer) so it's just natural for me to lean towards the more studio-style designs. Plus I love his use of exotic woods, which isn't everyone's preference, but I love it.

I just saw the tail end of the show with the bubinga mirror, I can't wait until it's repeated on Saturday, which is when I usually tape his show.

david

Reply to
D K Woods

A bit more style, more design makes things nicer. I didn't say there's anything wrong with Norm's projects. It's just that David's are more attractive.

I too make what I like while at the same time stretch a bit and make things that require me to learn something. A trip to the lumberyard is usually necessary too.

Of course you work exclusively from your own designs.

And I've yet to make anything I've seen on Woodworks. I just like it more.

I earn my living as a designer (not wood things). Very seldom have I built something from a plan without modifying said plan.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I didn't thing I'd said anything wrong about Norm. Norm's show among other things got me interested in WW. I still watch every episode. The result of efforts are always well made pieces of work. And I've certainly put some money in his pocket by buying a plan or two.

All I'm say>

Reply to
Lazarus Long

Maybe this is the root of why Mr. Mark's impresses me more. The beginner level stuff gets covered a lot in various programs but more advanced things don't get the same.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I've seen his site, haven't fully explored everything there yet.

NYW simplifies too. Both shows are only 1/2 hour.

No problem there. Power tools for the grunt work (stock preparation) hand tools to finesse things together.

I think power tools are great. I just don't think they're all that's needed.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I have to agree. It's nice if a project looks great and is fully functional too, but if I had to pick one over the over, functionality would easily come first over visual aesthetics.

Reply to
Upscale

Couldn't agree more! One is a master carpenter, while the other, a furniture/woodturning artisan. Ideally, one would have Norm build their home and have David make the funishings...big bucks there!

Any long-haired hippy freak (had to cut his hair for the show, I suppose) that rides a Harley is A.O.K in my book...

Be kind! Artsy-fartsy folk are people too, ya know :-)

Reply to
David O

I agree totally. Marks is how heading in another direction toward metal crafting. You only have to look at his website.

'm kinda heading that way too somewhat.....

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote

It doesn't take very much to be functional. "It" (the project) should also look nice. Otherwise stacks of orange crates could also do a nice job holding the LP collection. Just an observation.

Reply to
Lazarus Long

I think Norm is selling power tools, so that might have something to do with using them.

Reply to
ATP

Is this why I don't get to see Roy Underhill anymore? Doesn't delta sell a treadle lathe or a line of froes that Roy could hawk?

I'm thinking that they could have an X5 branded used-hacksaw blade that could be used to make a right angle saw or start selling the UniStick(tm), a prime piece of green hickory.

-Jack

Reply to
JackD

Well I have to be kind, my wife and I have just retired from the building trade at 35 to make our living at out part time pottery business, so we "are" artsy fartsy. We both worked full time in the building and remodeling trade until last year when we decided it was time to move on. This I why I think I really like both of the people in questions work but tend to like Norms grasp of real world mechanics better and I really like Davids grasp of beauty and grace. Its like a Lion and a Gazelle. I couldnt agree more with the other post saying that the perfect union would be one building the house and the other furnishing, that woudl be a sight to see.

Mark

Reply to
Mark & Shauna

Dunno. Woodcraft cut Roy off last year, shortly after the new marketing VP came on board. Don't know how much of Roy's financing was WCS, nor do I know the reason Shawn cut him off.

Charlie Self

"The California crunch really is the result of not enough power-generating plants and then not enough power to power the power of generating plants." George W. Bush

Reply to
Charlie Self

On Tue 05 Aug 2003 12:27:25p, Bannerstone wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

The sci fi groups have the "Predator vs Terminator" threads, we've got Dave and Norm. A discussion comparing them is not only certain, it's certain to happen time and time again.

And it has. :-)

Personally I watch the shows for tips. Joinery, prep, materials, tools, jigmaking, whatever. I've used what I learned from both of 'em on my projects. And I like comparing the different methods both of them take to do basically the same things.

I might do one of David's projects, though. SWMBO wants a headboard and we both liked the look of the one David made. I just checked and I'm all out of 8/4 and veneer mahogany, so I'll have to make do with some South American walnut for the panels and American walnut for the heavy stock. It's the spirit of the thing that counts. :-)

Just five or six more "dothisfirst" projects, and I can start on it. I've already started stocking up on Tung Oil.

Dan

Reply to
Dan

I thought David was kinda uptight around the camera when I first started watching. Then I saw the show where he goes out to various locations to show viewers how to select and buy wood. He's a completely different person when talking to someone directly. Especially if it's about wood! So I don't think he's quite comfortable in front of the camera yet.

Reply to
Joe Wells

specifically targeted towards use in amateur radio?

73's

Robert / N4IXT

Reply to
Robert C. Cain