Noisy Oldham TS Blade

I purchased a 10" 40 tooth carbide blade for my JET table saw. When I install it and turn it on the noise of just the blade running is significantly louder than the stock blade (yes I know I'm supposed to toss that one and get a good one). It doesn't sound or appear to be vibration but more a air flow whine making my Jet sound...well like a jet. The blade seems to cut fine otherwise, should I be concerned about this noise and stick to the stock blade until I can afford something else...?

Thank you in advance Daryl

Reply to
daryl1138

shouldn't hurt anything but your ears. FYI, a zero clearance insert will make the blade whine louder.

dave

daryl1138 wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

I had the same problem with the blade that came with my saw some years ago. My solution was to just get used to it. But then when I replaced it after a couple years, the new blade was much more quiet. I determined that the noise was from the blade ringing. The new blade had damping cuts in it, so it didn't ring.

To verify that it is the blade ringing, try putting some masking tape on the blade. If I'm correct, this should quiet things down. However, sawing wood with masking tape stuck to the blade doesn't seem like a real good idea.....

Bruce Brooks

Reply to
Bruce Brooks

The Oldham blade has teeth......

Rob

Reply to
Rob Stokes

Reply to
Steven Bliss

I had the same problem today and came here to post my question. I replaced a Freud 40 tooth blade with my new WW2 Thin Kerf (and dampener). I though it would be much more quiet, but the WW2 was significantly louder. It sounded like a helicopter turbine cranking up in the garage. No complaints about the cutting ability of the blade...much nicer, but I was a bit dissapointed because I expected the noise levels to decrease quite a bit. I have the same question for the group as Daryl just in case I am doing anything wrong.

Regards,

- Al

Reply to
jcofmars

To everyone with noise problems. My friend and I have the same saw (I don't think the same blade, so this may not help that much...your mileage may vary ;)

Anyway, his saw is so loud when he runs it I can't hear myself think even with good ear protection. However, mine is fine. The big difference between the two is I have the link belt and he's just using his rubber belt (he actually owns a link belt but is too lazy^H^H^H^Hbusy to put it on (hi Scott if you're reading this :)

Anyway, I definitely suggest it, I'm even thinking about doing it for my drill press since it's a Delta radial head (the distance between pulleys is like 18").

Good luck, Mike

Reply to
Mike in Idaho

I suspect you got this blade at the hardware store. My Oldham blade is one of their expensive ones, and is significantly quieter than my Forrest blade. Of course is has a special laser cut disk and a blade dampener with a rubber O-ring. The HW store blades do not have these features, and so are significantly noisier. Their not bad, as economical blades go, but don't expect premium blade performance.

Cheers, Eric

Reply to
Eric Lund