Newbie Sanding block question

I have to take some 450 grit sand paper and glue it to a piece of wood in order to make a sanding block. What is the best kind of glue to use for something like this or is there a device that makes this simpler? Thank you.

Reply to
Cardinal

Just cut the paper large enough so that you can wrap it around the block and just hold it with your hand.

Reply to
Leon

"Cardinal" wrote

There are a world of DIY plastic sanding blocks available, that do not require the use of glue, at any hardware or home center. Alternately, you can just 'fold and hold' on a block of wood without glue.

If you must glue it to a block of wood, try Elmer's spray on adhesive.

Reply to
Swingman

There are dozens of sanding blocks on the market. I remember when a sanding block was any chunk of wood you could hold in your hand and get enough paper up the side to hold onto. a piece of 2x3 about 5 inches long is still just about perfect for cutting a sheet of sandpaper in quarters.

Reply to
Ed Edelenbos

Actually you can buy PC or any like brand roll of PSA paper, typically comes in a 30' x 4.5" roll for about $12.

Reply to
Leon

...I made some sanding blocks out of 1x material to fit sanding belts...the kind you put on your belt sander (heh...)...I have 3 "standard" sizes: 100,180 and 220 and thru the years I've made a couple or three more for my work truck and trailer. They work great, never come loose and are 1,2,3 to change out (get 'em tight, tho!). That said, there is always the odd grit I need and for many moons I'd just grab a scrap block of likely size and fold the sheet around it and get to it. Great for do-it-now stuff, but for any projects requiring time/repetitive operations not so good. So, the other day I went to do "the wrap" with some 320 and it just so happened I was standing next to a shelf where I keep a hodgpodge of spray cans and there was some 3M Drywall Corner Adhesive...*nice* tack and less of a mess than the heavier spray adhesives...well, how do you do, Mr. problem-solver?

cg

Reply to
Charlie Groh

Make a block 1/4 or 1/3 sheet wide, and just long enough that the strip will wrap 1" or so around the top of the long direction of the block. Laminate a thin layer of cork. Wrap the sandpaper strip the long way and use a 3" piece of duct tape, ripped in half lengthwise to secure the sandpaper to the block on the top of the block. Make several at the same time (a KD DF 2x4 works as source stock). Label the open space on the top with the grit.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I'd suggest putting a thin layer of cork on the block. You can use spray adhesive to attach the cork.

I cut an 1/8" slot across the front and back of the wood sanding block. I then wrap the sandpaper front to back and wedge the sandpaper into the slots. I've some scrap wedges I use to hold the paper in the slots. If you size the wood block right, the paper fits just right to the block.

I round off the edges of the wood block top to make the block more comfortable to grab ahold of too.

Otoe

Reply to
Otoe

I have never glued sandpaper to a sanding block but have seen sandpaper glued to MDF or glass (for sharpening) using 3M spray glue. You may want to make a wooden sanding block or two. Some are better than others and some have features that hold the sandpaper. Making it easy to remove and install various grits will make a sanding block even more useful.

Reply to
Phisherman