Sand to what grit for paint-grade cabinets?

What is the 'optimal' grit to sand to before painting cabinets?

- Wood is combination of poplar and Baltic Birch plywood

- Paint is Semi-gloss (preceded by latex primer)

(obviously sanding too little will not give a smooth surface and sanding too much may impede paint adhesion while also of course wasting effort)

Reply to
blueman

Personally, I think anything past 120 - maybe even 100 - is overkill. Main thing is to have it flat as the primers have so much limestone in them that they fill any scratch marks. Better, IMO, to do the sanding on the primer as its surface is what will determine the appearance of the paint.

Reply to
dadiOH

Been doing this for a couple of years now and I use 150 then prime with Zinsser Bin, never sand the primer unless I get a run. Primer dries in 30 minutes out here, paint with enamel. Won't use anything but Zinsser Bin for priming wood, love the stuff!

Rich

Reply to
Rich