Newbie request

OK I'm planning on building a cabinet (cocktail type). The problem is I have no understaning or capacity of woodworking or the tools to make it myslef therefore I will need to commision somebody else to make it. Therefore I need to create some very detailed plans. Now I have some existing plans I can use as a guide, but I want to be able to add an extra inch here or there and generally make small modification to the plans.

My question.

Is there a piece of software out there that would allow me to input the original dimensions, make a small modification of say the top surface and automatically re-size (or make suggestions) for the rest of the pieces?

I guess Ideally I would like to be able to contruct the whole thing in

3D to ensure that everything fits togther before I give it to the carpenter?

Thanks for any advice.

Reply to
Pommie

If you are going to hire someone to make it anyway. Why not just her or him the plans and say. "Just Like This Except...." and let the woodworker due the final plans. Probably will have some good design suggestions for you as well (like "Well, that will fall over if we build it like that")

That's what I'd do anyway. If youre paying for construction, might as well pay for some drafting plans,

But WhaddaIKnow? I'm just a newbie myself. Jim H

Reply to
Jim Helfer

Actually it's not as simple as that as I live in Singapore where English is not the native language, I will be using some chinese man who probably speaks broken English to make this cabinet. The cabinet also is not a standard piece of furniture, but it's going to be a gaming cabinet similar to what you would have played in the arcades back in the 80's only a bit more pleasing on the eye for my wifes sake.

Reply to
Pommie

Actually it's not as simple as that as I live in Singapore where English is not the native language, I will be using some chinese man who probably speaks broken English to make this cabinet. The cabinet also is not a standard piece of furniture, but it's going to be a gaming cabinet similar to what you would have played in the arcades back in the 80's only a bit more pleasing on the eye for my wifes sake.

Reply to
Pommie

Not at all - designing the details is much of the work and skill of making the piece - the rest is just cutting.

A good maker can take your vague descriptions "I want it this big, with a door there", combine them with the materials requests and the budget, and work out the joinery details for themselves. In fact, without knowing the budget, you can't decide how to make it anyway, and this is often an iterative process.

Talk to your maker - see how much detail they think they want.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In that case, you're going to get a Chinese cabinet. It's a very different woodworking tradition to the West. If you give this maker a sketch of what you _need_ (ie the spaces inside, the overall shape outside) and let him work out the details according to his own style, then you're likely to get a much better cabinet.

I've seen some Anglo-Chinese pieces from the past (British Empire) that had very odd resultant designs, as a result of trying to constrain one tradition too closely into the styles of the the other.

-- Klein bottle for rent. Apply within.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

If who ever you give the commission work too can't make a few adjustments to existing plans you probably don't want them making the thing.

Reply to
Mike G

then pay a designer to design it.

Reply to
Bridger

See what giving all the details can do for a post.

I don't know of such software but I am sure something at least close to what you want exists and a careful search of the internet would turn it up. I'm also pretty sure that software with the functions you want will probably cost on the order of what it would cost for you too buy the machines and do the job yourself.

I'm afraid all I can do is wish you luck.

Reply to
Mike G