Newbie Questions

I just got the Dewalt VS random "hook and loop" orbital sander, and it is sweet. I had the 1/4 sheet DeWalt already and that puppy is gawd aweful noisey and vibrates your arm something terrible when you are using it, and whenever I did use it I would always hand sand afterwards because it would not leave a surface ready for finishing. The random orbital is sweet for changing paper too, the pads I got just press on, not adhesive, but like velcro, this is very nice. Dust collection with this one seems to be 10 times better too even if I'm just using the bag it came with. It also has vacuum hose attachment capability too.

The random orbital one leaves a very smooth finish compared to the 1/4 sheet sander too.

First question is do this type of sander leave a surface smooth enough for finishing? (with a fine grade paper of course)

Second question why are they called "hook and loop" sanders? I don't understand this name, don't see anything on it that looks like a hook or a loop.

Third question, what is the 1/4 sheet sander good for now? Should I sell it or give it away, can't think of any situation where it will be more useful than the random orbital model is or do a job the random orbital wont.

thanks in advance for your replies,

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

yes, the sanded item is ready for finish if you use the corect sandpaper, 150 grit usually does the trick. Hook and loop mean it is a velcro type system. as far as the 1/4 sheet, well, i have one too, sitting on the shelf doing nothing. just can't seem to chuck it.

Reply to
joe

I have some shaped foam pads for my palm sander; the paper goes over them. I have only used it once, but they are good for concave surfaces that a ROS couldn't get into.

Reply to
Toller

Thanks Joe,

I guess I will give the 1/4 sheet sander to my son, he's starting to get the bug. At least if he gets it free he wont feel as stuipid as I do for letting the lower price steer my decision the first time, I could have afforded the random orbital then, it is only about 30 bucks more. Live and learn.

So.....if there isn't a situation where the 1/4 sheet sander will work when a random orbital wont, and I can't think of a thing myself, I'm going to give it to my son. If for no other reason I can't see going back to cutting and mouting 1/4 sheets on that thing, I was an instant fan of the hook and loop, even before I knew what it meant. :)

Thanks again Joe,

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

Velcro is a trademarked name - similar examples of terminology would be Kleenex vs. facial tissue and Xerox vs. photocopy. Hook and loop is the mechanism that was invented with Velcro. Stiff plastic hooks on one part grab onto the fuzzy loops of the other.

Just one word of warning: Don't overheat the sanding pad by using too fine a grit to remove coarse surface imperfections or by pressing too hard against the surface - you'll melt the plastic hooks and they'll no longer grab the loops. At that point you'll have to replace the hook pad to get it to stop Frisbee-ing (yet another example of trademark vs. terminology) the sanding disks across the shop.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Think inside corner. You can't get a round sander into a square corner. Now, you should sand those places before assembling, but sometimes we forget... If you had a better quality 1/4 sheet sander you'd want to keep it regardless.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

Good points Leuf & CW, Perhaps I will hang onto the old 1/4 sheet sander after all. That's one big reason I like these newsgroups. Hearing from others sure does make a difference sometimes.

Thanks you two!

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

Excellent tips on applying pressure and using the right grit paper, things I may have never figured out.

However, your depth of knowledge concering word definitions and trademark infringement etc do suggest a certain lack of time being devoted to the art of beer drinking.

Great comments Owen, thank you sir!

RangerPaul

Reply to
Ranger Paul

Now I am wondering what I may be missing. I have a 1/4 sheet finishing sander (Bosch) and use it occasioanlly on plywood but prefer to hand sand through all of the grits on hardwoods. I always assumed it was the lack of airborn dust and being able to hear the radio while I worked away that kept it on the shelf.

Warren

Reply to
Warren