Newbie question

Nails. What nails are suitable for softwoods & why do my nails spilt the grain of Pine? How does one determine the correct size of nail for the job please? CJ

Reply to
Colin Jacobs

It may be more of a question of how does one determine the correct method of joinery for the job. Try flattening the tips a bit, use smaller nails, predrill, or - my favorite - use cut nails.

JP

Reply to
Jay Pique

thats what I do.. blunt end nails seem to do less damage.

-- Log

Reply to
Log

Nails can split any wood. No mention of the thickness of the stock, nor the application. One trick is to hold a nail up and tap the sharp end making it blunt. This will crush the wood fibers instead of wedging the grain apart. More time-consuming but I prefer to drill a pilot hole for both hard and softwoods.

Reply to
Phisherman