New screw head type

Hi,

I was flipping through a magazine last week and saw an advertisement on a new type of screws. It's like a Robertson head but actually it's got two square heads within each other.

Does someone here can point me out either to the magazine I saw it in or better to their website (if they have one).

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

mcfeelys.com might be a useful starting place.

Reply to
B A R R Y

There's an ad in Woodworker's Journal for "Lox" . try:

I think it's all part of a conspiracy to sell more screwdrivers.

Max

Reply to
Max

Heh... did you try the 'virtual test?' I want to know what kind of virtual wood they used.. I have never seen any wood that a #8 Robertson couldn't drive into! :)

Drew Read

Reply to
drewread

I have seen them. I believe that they are regular square drive rejects. They were double stamped and the screw turned slightly on the second stamp. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

So where's the ad for bagels?

Reply to
lwasserm

I don't suppose you saw the ones used some years ago on US built mobile homes. Looks like a 'butterfly' shape called Kluthe or clutch?

Pete

Reply to
cselby

Must be "hard" wood....

BruceT

Reply to
Bruce T

These were common on 50's Chevy trucks, the screws that held on the door handles were clutch head, I think some of the other screws on these pickups had the clutch head also.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Peachy. Once they're galvanized, you'll have _two_ recesses the square drive won't fit.

Reply to
George

I wonder if they will offer an undersized driver for the galvanized screws like McFeeleys does.

Reply to
Leon

Clutch screws were but not the ones the OP is talking about. The OP is talking about "lox" head screws.

Leon

It's not that new... I got a few boxes of those things with the "Deck Master" kit I bought back in 2001.

They require a special and very hard to find bit...

For the life of me, I can't imagine the "why" on this design.

Greg D. wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

To sell special and very hard to find bits of course.

Reply to
J. Clarke

They are actually Canadian made by a GRK with a "torx" drive head

We've been using them for years since discovering them at the Homebuilders show back in the late 90s. In Houston, Circle Jerk errr, Circle Saw is the only retail source we've been able to find for them though, ironically enough, I've had no problem getting them at small town "Do-It-Best" Lumber and Hardware centers. They are an extremely tough (hardened) screw with good corrosion resistance. I can count on one hand the number of heads I have snapped over the last eight or nine years. We hang a lot of cabinets with them but like them especially when there are framing members to add and no room for a nailer. And, I do believe McFeeley's has started carrying them. Locally they run around $6/lb +/- .

Reply to
New Wave Dave

----- Original Message ----- From: "New Wave Dave" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Monday, November 13, 2006 12:17 PM Subject: Re: New screw head type

This is a better link:

"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Reply to
New Wave Dave

I saw them at Circle Saw a couple of weeks back, two days after I needed them and used something else. You are talking about the ones they sell in the brown paper bags?

Reply to
Swingman

I am indeed; one and the same. And, they are split-point, self-drilling with nibs under the heads for countersinking. Most take a No. 20 torx driver though a couple of the smaller sizes require a No.15. The Kennedy, Texas "Do-It-Best" [I sometimes frequent I] carries up tp

3-1/4 inch lengths.

"New Wave" Dave In Houston

Reply to
New Wave Dave

The LOX head is slightly different from the TORX. Check this:

Max

Nope that is a torx screw the double suare dirive is a Lox drive, Look here,

The torx has been around GM since the mid 70's.

Reply to
Leon