New old bandsaw 220v or 110?

I just got at an auction a Biro model 34 bandsaw for $135 and now that I have cleaned it up a little I am not positive if it is set up to run on

220v. I think it is because the plug has one blade vertical and the other horizontal in other words ( - ! like this). The ground pin is in the normal position. Can anyone tell me an easy way to tell if I am correct? I don't want to just plug it in and see what happens. After all I would hate to burn the sucker up after almost giving myself a hernia picking this 400-500 pound monster up and getting it home. As always thanks for the help. Larry
Reply to
larry's lair

sounds like my 220 plug

len

Reply to
leonard

see exactly what you have. Pay attention to the difference between plug and receptacle configurations.

Plug like this | -- o is 120V 20A.

Plug like *this*

-- | o is 240V 20A.

Also be aware that the plug configuration does not necessarily indicate what the motor actually needs -- it's *supposed* to match, but on used equipment, somebody might have changed it incorrectly, and you don't have any way of knowing that it really *does* match unless you check the motor wiring. There's probably a diagram on the motor, or a label, that would indicate what it is.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, its a 20a plug, and 20a at 240v seems excessive, so it is probably

120v.

But, just to be sure

can't really make a mistake because a 120v plug won't fit a 240v outlet.

Reply to
toller

Except that, with used equipment, you have no idea what sort of jackleg modifications may have been made by a prior owner.

Reply to
Doug Miller

You can get to the motor, and there is a ID plate, it should say

John

Reply to
John

Look at the motor plate. It should give the wiring diagram for 120 and 240 service. Then look at the wiring on the motor to see which way it is connected. The field windings are connected in series for 240 and in parallel for 120. Jim

Reply to
Jim