Need wiring for dust collection

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows where I can find a wiring diagram so I can turn on my dust collector everytime I turn on one of my machines (table saw, planer, jointer, etc). and then shut off when I shut off the machine. Thanks, Dave Boeff

Reply to
David Boeff

Are you sure you want to do this? To fully automate it (seems like your motivation), you have to have solenoid operated blast gates. Now that's getting expensive.

Bob

Reply to
Bob

mechanically operated shutter at each machine also does the job.

You also need to decide whether you want off-cariage operation of the vac. (mine runs like 10 sec after I've switch of an individual machine)

The wiring depends on your local situation (machines connect via plug, fixed cable, single/multi phase etc.). Basically, every machine needs to trigger a relay (always the same) which then starts the vac. If you are not experienced in electrical wiring, you'll need some help.

regards Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Mühe

On the other hand, wiring with a magnetic contactor with microswitches in the blast gates simplifies things a good deal and is not terribly difficult. Look in the Grainger catalog under "purpose contactor" or "purpose contactors".

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hi David,

Why not do it the simple way and get a remote control switch.

Check out this link if you are not familiar (watch the wrap):

have one for over 5 years with no problems. Shop around for a better price.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Hi, The three ways that spring to mind are:

1) a system made to do this like one of the Long Ranger systems; 2) a low voltage set-up with switches and a relay; 3) a set of strings and pulleys connected to the dust collector switch.

The third can work really well; I saw a set-up like this in a woodworker's shop a few years ago, and it was pretty slick. I don't remember the details, but he had it set up with a string hanging from the ceiling at each machine, and a quick yank would mechanically throw the dust collector switch. It should be easy to implement -- and dirt cheap! I know I've seen a website with the second type incorporating switches built into shop-made blast gates; also pretty slick, but definitely more work than the string set-up. Of course, a ready-made solution like the Long Ranger is easiest of all, but at a price. Lewis

Reply to
Lewis

No idea how you'd do this for all machines, but I have a 40 amp circuit in the shop, and the way the lights dim for a few seconds on the startup of the DC, I can't picture starting it and a saw or jointer at the same time unless they were on separate circuits..

Reply to
mac davis

This is what I do as well. It works great.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

Thanks for all of the help and suggestions, I think the long ranger switch will probably do most of what I want. Also, I should have searched google groups before posting, there are some real long discussions on this subject. Thanks, Dave Boeff

Reply to
David Boeff