Need help accessing this newsgroup

Wouldn't it be easier, Damian, to _include_ whatever you're answering in

There you go. Now like I said, I personally don't like having to wade through gobs of context to find what the poster has actually contributed. Any decent/modern newsreader allows you to view groups in a threaded manner so in my eyes quoting previous responses is a waste of bandwidth. If you really needed context then in slrn esc-p will find you the parent based on the references tag but lets face it you were just being pedantic and knew quite well the context of my comments. I really don't need a lesson in how to use usenet, I've been using it for over a decade. This is my last post on the subject as quite frankly I'm tired of the childishness that's been displayed here. Shame on you.

Reply to
damian penney

Which suggests he believes... Oh shut the hell up, I know perfectly well how to use Usenet, used it for over a decade, context is a waste of bandwidth when decent newsreaders display things in a threaded format, or don't you know how to do make it do that? The whole Ooooo he uses Google must be a newbie lets pounce attitude is lame, it's a decent interface and is accessabled from anywhere. Usenet isn't email you know.

Reply to
damian penney

Of course. Give a sentence or two, trim the rest. Leave in the "person said thing" line, and you'll have it right.

Quoting the _entire_ previous message, sure. Enough to get an idea, makes communication better.

Actually, no. Sorry, but I don't memorize the contents of every thread I participate in and who is saying what to whom.

Right, so because two of us are trying to explain to you how your posting method interferes with people understanding _your posts_, somehow this is our problem. Got it. The fact that you've been on usenet for more than a decade isn't relevant; there were clueless newbies ten years ago too.

Most people would have noticed, in a decade, that replying with no context interferes with communication.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

We're not saying you're not communicating well because you post from google, we're saying you're not communicating well because first you posted with no context, then you seemed to show a glimmering of a clue by actually including context (but with no attribution), and now you're freaking _top posting_.

No, you're intentionally missing his, and my, and the other Dave's point.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Usenet is threaded so you don't HAVE to memorize the contents of the entire thread, replys directly reference the post that is being responded to.

Oh yes you're really trying to be ever so helpful; lets face it you didn't like the solution I offered the original poster and jumped up on your high horse.

Again, do you realise that in Usenet replies reference the post to which they are referencing? That makes it a threaded discussion, and the thread IS the context. I made a one line response to the original message whose title had all the context necessary to understand what I was referring to but because you didn't like the reply you decided to troll.

Reply to
damian penney

I google, just because I like to check it at lunch at work, where NNTP is blocked. Sucks as far as checking new messages, though, and once a thread gets too long, it's nearly impossible to respond to every message that is replied to you, since you have to find them all.

Reply to
Larry Bud

For home use, I use OCTANEWS.

The advantage of this one is you only pay for bandwidth. If you're a text only kinda guy, this is THE way to go. If you don't access the NG much during the summer (like me), your balance remains and you only pay when you need to buy more "blocks" of bandwidth.

10 gig for text can last a LONG time.
Reply to
Larry Bud

If you give context. Like you did again this time, seemingly randomly.

Actually, I've suggested groups.google.com to people as a solution, myself. I prefer news.individual.net, but google isn't awful.

I do now, because you included the context.

Not hardly. Not everyone displays a nested-threaded-message display like you apparently do. Assuming they do, or should, is rather arrogant on your part.

But, you've been doing it your way for more than a decade, so you _must_ be right. Because obviously you're so brillaint that you've figured out what all of Usenet has failed to do in that decade.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Um no i'm not actually...