Micro-bevel on bench plane iron?

Just bought 3 lie-nielsen bench planes. These babies really sing. I noticed on lie-nielsen's site (not where I purchased them!) that they recommend a micro-bevel of 2 or 3 degrees for maximum smoothness.

But they don't say what side should hold the micro-bevel. Does anyone know whether it is best to put the micro-bevel on the bevel side or on the flat side?

Reply to
Geoff

The micro-bevel goes on the beveled side of the iron.

Reply to
Dave

Assuming you are talking about bevel-down planes, if you put it on the bevel side it makes it easier to hone in the future (don't have to redo the whole bevel). If you put it on the flat side, you change the effective cutting angle of the plane. (FWIW, I've done this intentionally with my L-N #4-1/2, and it works well.)

If you're talking about a bevel-up plane, putting a microbevel on the bevel side changes the effective angle. (FWIW, I also do this on purpose on my low-angle smoothers; higher angles can be heplful when dealing with tricky woods.)

Chuck Vance (who's guessing that L-N intended it to be on the bevel side)

Reply to
Conan the Librarian

LN recommends a microbevel on the beveled side. I have one of their planes and find that it works well without the microbevel.

Reply to
Dave W

The plane should initially cut better with out the micro bevel but the micro bevel helps strengthen the edge and stay sharp longer.

Reply to
Leon