My woodworking teacher always told me never to...

rip sandpaper, any idea why?

Apart from being a little wasteful, it still seems to do the job.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

It's tough on the rip blade.

-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Reply to
Nova

Chuckle chuckle..

OK chaps...."rip" as in "tear". Not "tear" as in "tear drop" either

Ain't English wonderful?

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Cause it causes an irregular edge which is more prone to snagging than a cut edge....try it - you soon see why...

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

My experience - ripped sandpaper tears more easily during sanding than cut sandpaper. All those wavy edge bits mess up and start a tear. YMMV

Mike

Reply to
Michael Daly

Ours would rip your head off for calling it "sandpaper" rather than glasspaper. Not that much of it is made out of glass either, but you know what traditionalists are like...

I rip mine, but I always fold and crease it first. I never have a problem with tears.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The grit layer separates from the paper easier that way, too. I score with a knife and snap.

Reply to
George

The purpose built Curragh military detention barracks which was built in

1863, was known as the "glasshouse" because it had a distinctive glass roof. Now, all military and some civilian prisons are known as the "glasshouse"....

Something like than anyway.....

Graham

Reply to
Graham Walters

That was the one

or "never rip

It seems to me your original

Much... :)

The latter must have been too weird for me to consider as a possibility!

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Got it.

Yeah, but stick around the Internet for a while and you'll read the strangest things. I never process what someone writes through my own life experience filters. And don't get me started about the butchering of the English language that passes these days! ;-)

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

I hope that your goal with that sentence was to give an example of poor English. :)

Rico

Reply to
Rico

Aoccdrnig to rscheearch at an Elingsh uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer are in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a toatl mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit a porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae we do not raed ervey lteter by it slef but the wrod as a wlohe and the biran fguiers it out aynawy.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I put it over the back edge of my metal straightedge, but I usually crease it first too.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Ashby

Taths pttery cool, but I wneodr if it's ctlmoepey ture if snomoee geos to ermtxees to srcew tgihns up?

I'd say there's rather more to it than just the first and last letters, like keeping certain dipthongs together and such, but I *can* read that jibberish you spouted above.

Reply to
Silvan

Well, it wasn't. Sorry for that but if it helped make the point, so be it.

Dennis Vogel

Reply to
dennisvogel

Dno't bileev ervetyigh yuo raed.