My turn to make an easel

I remember a while back, someone here made an "easel". I examined one of the tabletop ones, and they featured a a couple of "rivets" about 3/8" in diameter (through the 1"x2"s) to allow it to be folded up quite compactly. Had I not looked, I might have considered bolts with "elbow nuts" in place of the rivets, but I think that the rivets are "cleaner". Any other ideas about how to create this "flexible joint"? Cheers!

Reply to
Bill

Oops, it's called a "wing nut", not an elbow nut.

Reply to
Bill

It was likely Bob. He recently finished a large easel for his wife.

Reply to
Leon

I made this one over 10 years ago. It's covered in paint now, as it should be.

Michael

"Wing nut" fits this group better anyway. ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's fine work! At this point (I haven't even bought any paint yet), I'll settle for a desktop version that will hold a 9"x12" canvas panel. I painted two pictures in oil while of high school age, which didn't come out so bad considering I didn't really have any training. But my dad had some drawing skills, and as a little kid I would occasionally ask him to draw for my entertainment. I got in the habit of drawing everyday, before I had a drivers license. One of the paintings (if I am generous with the term!) is sitting on a shelf in my living room, for sentimental reasons. It would be better if I had known enough to lay down a "wash coat" (bottom layer).

When I showed the first painting I mentioned above to my english teacher (as it was based on a short story we read), she asked if she could have it--so that's where it went. While in art class in high school, I did a drawing with a black crayon that my teacher had on display in a glass case in the hallway, along with the works of some others. My history class teacher must have walked by the glass case, as he asked me if I would draw each of the 7 wonders of the ancient world in black crayon, in lieu of a writing a report. And, I thought that was a "good deal"! I work cheap! To be honest, I don't think I draw that well, but I can do better than someone who can't draw at all--Landscapes not so bad, portraits not so good! But I haven't given up! Maybe I'll try to paint the dog. I tried sketching her a few weeks ago, but she got up and my drawing went strictly downhill after that. Before she left it looked okay, and I should have quit while I was ahead (and I knew it too!) As YouTube has stimulated me with alot of free lessons, and I thought I'd try acrylic.

Sorry for the long post.

Still looking for a good homemade "rivet". I was looking at bolts last night. If I did use a wing-nut and bolt combo, is there a bolt that is "handier" than one having a hex-head? I guess I could put a wing nut on each side, but that would not seem to be so aesthetically pleasing! A carriage bolt and a wingnut would surely get the job done. My dad would have taken the first option that occurred to him, based on what he had in the garage, and not looked back! We're spoiled! ; )

Reply to
Bill

Bill snipped-for-privacy@att.net wrote in news:SkdLL.1334042$ snipped-for-privacy@fx17.iad:

A wing nut on either side would not work so well with a hex bolt, but cut the head off (or use threaded rod) and you'd have something that would work. Loctite on one side would be a good idea, so the threaded rod won't spin as you're trying to turn the other side.

Alternatively, there are a variety of knobs out there. Many use a socket that's been formed to fit the hex head of a bolt. You can make your own if that works better, either by carving out the flats of the head or using something like an insert nut to cut the threads. In a strong enough hardwood, just cutting threads with a tap will work.

There's also knurled nuts available.

I'd probably either buy a knob or 3D print something, but that's just me.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Browsing Lee Valley's online hardware catalog might give you some ideas :

John T.

Reply to
hubops

It did. Combining what I saw there with what Puckdropper said, I need to make my own knobs. I need to contemplate the details (and see what Menards has on hand). Thank you both for your suggestions!

Reply to
Bill