My RAS is dying

My 33 year old Powr-Kraft RAS leaked out about 2 quarts of smoke today. I checked the brushes and they were badly burned. Replaced 'em and the poor old thing runs but sickly and not at full speed. I'd run out and buy a new one or look for an old DeWalt, but this old guy has some features not available on the others - mainly a 20.000 RPM and 3450 rpm aux spindle that allows a lot of extra operations. Beside that, it has been very accurate unlike what many report on newer RAS's. And it's kind of part of the family by now.

So, the questions are:

1) Ayone know of a good motor rebuilding shop in the Phoenix/Tucson area?

2) Anyone know of an orphaned Powr-Kraft RAS motor that needs a home?

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

I'll sell you the whole saw for no more than 500 clams Doug :) Needs a switch tho.

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Reply to
George E. Cawthon

Doug ...

This is not precisely an answer to either of your questions but, as a 3rd option, you might want to see if you can get a replacement motor (or parts) from these guys:

Lee Gordon

That's the one - got in in '71.

-Doug

Reply to
dlwinterburn

called Deco that I will try.

Thanks,

Doug

Reply to
dlwinterburn

Sheesh, Eric - I only paid $179 for the thing when it was brand new!

-Doug

Reply to
dlwinterburn

$550 then, and not a cent less... ya know you want it!!! LOL

Reply to
Eric Ryder

Reply to
George

Deco still has the field coils ($36) and will rebuild the armature ($130). All I gotta do is tear it down and see if the rest of it is worthwhile.

-Doug

Reply to
Doug Winterburn