My first GLOAT(s)

I don't have a jointer or planer, but IMHO, the planer is the new item..

I can remember when I was a kid (like 50 years ago) seeing jointers in most home shops.. big heavy cast iron monsters... I never saw a planer in a home shop before the Dewalts came out a few years ago...

(In my younger days I lusted after the Shopsmith planer attachment but it was way too expensive)

Mac

mac davis

The sequence of posts I just quoted is a prime example when someone top posts.

Reply to
Locutus

you suck big time!

Vic

Reply to
Vic Baron

I buy rough cut. What's your definition of small? Coffee tables, end tables, ect are small compared to houses. Define.

Reply to
CW

Yeah, if the bottom posters would quit screwing up the sequence, everything would be fine.

Reply to
CW

No, the problem is the combination of top and bottom posting. This post would be an prime example of that (and of not snipping, which another cause of "problems").

:)

Personally, I like reading top posted messages because I can read through the threads, in order, and I don't have to scroll down to the bottom of every posting to read what the last person said. You can just "CTRL-U" (or whatever your readers "Next Unread Message" key is), and never use your mouse. And I can figure out that the top block of text is the most recent, the next block is the second most recent, etc. So it still makes sense. And regardless of your opinion, there is no "right" answer on top vs. bottom vs. middle posting, although anyone who middle posts is insane. That's MHO, anyway.

Clint

Reply to
Clint

I guess that depends on what you consider "recent". Small "home shop" jointers have been in wide use since at least the early 30s. Check the catalogs for Delta, Walker-Turner, and Craftsman on owwm.com if you would like. Then check to see how many of those little critters are available on eBay and the like.

So in geological terms, sure, jointers are a recent addition to the home shop.

Reply to
Joe Wells

Before OE, no one "top posted", but because OE top posts by default, everyone else is supposed to change how they posted to the usenet for years before OE even existed?

The MAJORITY of usenet posters still bottom post, so you should too.

Reply to
Locutus

Top posting makes more sense, unless you have Alzheimer's. Most of us can remember what was said for more than a few minutes and don't want to have to scroll through the old message to get to the new one. If you have a handicap, I'm sorry but most of us don't.

Reply to
CW

It may make more sense to you, because of how your news reader displays messages. There are many ways to read messages on tghe usenet. Do you realize that not all news readers thread messages? Since you are using OE, go to View > Current View and uncheck "Group Messages by Conversation"

That is how MANY people view posts on the usenet, so proper quoting is very important.

Regardless, it is no reason to be insulting.

Reply to
Locutus

Kind of sounds like asking the lead car in a race to slow down because others can't keep up with him.

Reply to
CW

We are in a race? To me it sounds like posting in a way that makes the Usenet useable to everyone, and not just people using outlook express. It called "being polite".

Personally, I use OE with threaded messages, so it's not that big of a deal to me. But do whatever you feel you need to do, I will continue to be considerate of other Usenet users.

Reply to
Locutus

Usable software is cheap and widely available. I will not adjust the way I do things for the benefit of those that won't help themselves. It's the same with the people on the binary groups that want you to process your post because someone may only have dialup and can't take the time to download something large. If they have inferior tools, don't expect me to adjust my way of doing things to accommodate them. In this world there are haves and have nots. Just the way it is.

Reply to
CW

That's your choice. Just make sure that when the time comes that you're the one with the inferior tools, (and it will) that you don't whine about the situation you find yourself in.

Reply to
Upscale

LOL! Well aren't you full of yourself? Actually, majority of newsreaders are SUPERIOR to Outlook Express, and the way you are choosing to post hampers the superior functions of those newsreaders. So your comments are actually quite funny, and it shows your ignorance of the Usenet.

Maybe you need to get a real newsreader, useable news readers are cheap and widely available you know?

As I said, I will continue to be considerate of others, just as I would in real life. You can continue to be a jerk, just as I suspect you might in real life.

Reply to
Locutus

Still is.

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

You mean they now have a newsreader that takes those annoying bottom posts and automatically puts them on top were they should be? If so, I'd like to have that one.

Reply to
CW

Top posting corrected to middle posting:

The CW entity posted thusly:

I see you suffer from having a strange compulsion to actually read the included material. Most of us have the mental horsepower to simply ignore that which we don't nee.

Reply to
Oleg Lego

I could care less where anybody posts, top, bottom, crisscross, or sideways. What's the big deal as to where you post?

Reply to
Tom