Mounting bench vise on steel worksurface

Hi all,

Quick question I hope someone can help me with. I have Craftsman workbench with galvanized steel over fiberboard worksurface, and would like to know the best way to mount a 4-inch stationary bench vise to it.

Is there a reasonably sturdy way to mount the vise to the workbench without having to drill through the worksurface? Would it be sturdy enough if I were to mount the vise to a wood base and c-clamp that to the bench?

I expect this to get moderate use, nothing drastically heavy.

Thanks for any suggestions!

-Karen ( snipped-for-privacy@avalon.net)

Reply to
Karen

Use 1 or 2 layers of 3/4" MDF, drill carriage bolt recesses in the bottom for the bolt heads, drill smaller holes for the bolt shank, mount the vise to the MDF and use 2 C-clamps to clamp the MDF to the bench (with the T of the clamp pointed down) :-)

I have several tools mounted this way and it's easy to remove them from the bench and stow them away. Look for 3", 4" or 6" - whatever will fit the bench plus MDF at Harbor Freight on sale.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Thanks - I'll give it a shot this weekend.

Reply to
Karen