Motor stalled and won’t start

I have an old Craftsman 10 inch electronic radial saw. The model number is 113.197250. It is about 40 years old. When I turned it on it started but then it got caught in the kerf and stalled. The Instruction book says to hit the red reset button on top of the motor. I cannot find a reset button. What shall I do?

Reply to
Ruth

I am not an expert (but I am pretty sure there are experts at vintagemachinery.org) Personally, my first reaction would be to look for a fuse. I would use my voltmeter to check the switches, and what not, and I would probably just replace the capacitor (there are various ways to test it, but since you are asking for advise here, it's probably makes more sense to just replace it). Remember that capacitors can be "hot", even with the power turned off (read up on a couple of ways to deal with that). Good luck getting it running again!

Reply to
Bill

I don't see a reset button at all. Perhaps there is something in the motor itself but it doesn't look like my old one, which did have the reset button.

krw

Pages 81 - 82 Motor Troubleshooting makes no mention of a reset button - so there probably isn't one on your model. John T.

Reply to
hubops

In that case check your breaker of GFI.

Reply to
Leon

Just a guess, but if you unplug it and wait for 10 seconds, plug it in and turn it on it may function as a reset, and start .

There is one other thing you can do when the saw is unplugged, and that is check if everything rotates freely.

On some of the old Sears saw were here was a switch that was part of he starting system for the motor. If debris gets into the switch the motor will not start. FIRST UNPLUG THE MOTOR. On mine there is a cover on the end of the motor. Remove the cover, and carefully clean the area, making sure there rare no wood chips in the contacts.

Part of my routine end of project routine is to vacuum out all of the ports in the motor, to remove any debris that got into the motor during the project.

Reply to
knuttle

While it is intimidating to start tearing into an electric motor as I described above it is quite simple to clean out.

If it dead as hubops said, what is more economical 15 minutes removing the cover and cleaning the switch to make the repair or $200 for a new motor.

Reply to
knuttle

While it is intimidating to start tearing into an electric motor as I described above it is quite simple to clean out. If you have an air pressure source you may also try to blow the area clean.

If it dead as hubops said, what is more economical 15 minutes removing the cover and cleaning the switch to make the repair or $200 for a new motor.

Reply to
knuttle

Before anyone jumps all over me, I know that Ruth is talking about a RAS. In any case here's some free and easy advice that certainly can't hurt...

Try whacking the motor with a rubber mallet or a 2 x 4. Dust, other debris or a dead spot have been known to cause 70's vintage Craftsman table saw motors to act like they're dead. DAMHIKT

I've probably done it 2 or 3 times in the 40-ish years I've had my TS. 1 or 2 whacks and she starts right up.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That is ABUSE!!! AND should be reported to the tool authorities. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

I raised my table saw the same way I raised my kids and they all turned out fine.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I know right!!! I am afraid all of the inexperienced people causing a shift to what was wrong is now right and visa versa will have to live with their decisions after we are long gone.

Reply to
Leon

A rubber mallet? No way. I don’t abuse my tools.

Please see option 2 for getting the motor (or kids) started.

Reply to
DerbyDad03