Mixing micro portion of West System epoxy

Anyone know a trick or a source for micro pumps for mixing West System epoxy? I often need only 1cc to 10cc and end up wasting a tremendous amount.

West System must be aware of how much is wasted. I believe this is why they have never offered a micro pump. They probably sell a lot more epoxy that way.

A guy in Florida has plans for a micro dispensing system but I can't make heads or tails of his posted design.

Thanks.

Joe

Reply to
Joe Bleau

You can use any other technique to measure the 5:1 ratio. I've done it with drops out of the regular pumps, or fractions of a pump stroke. It can be done with a gram scale too, if it's accurate enough. Or teaspoons (use two, of course).

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Reply to
marc rosen

I've used epoxies of many kinds since the 1960's and always prepared my mixes by weight. Its the easiest thing in the world to get a modest cost postal scale for that purpose. Most slower curing (and stronger) blends are pretty tolerant of actual ratios within limits. For micro size needs, its easy to use a bit of poly film for a container and keep the epoxy puddle and hardener puddle separate until you are sure of your weights and then mix well. if you accidentally mix too much it can popped into the freezer real quick and will remain viable for a couple of weeks. A few seconds in the microwave will bring it up to working temperature. Some very pure epoxy resins will crystallize in storage and a quick trip in the microwave will liquify them nicely. Commercial resins are blended with other ingredients to keep crystallization from occurring. HTH

Joe

Reply to
Joe

I tend to save tic-tac containers for small parts, brads, etc. I have found that since they don't taper, I can mark measurements on them with a rule, and then pour the epoxy to the lines. Care while pouring is essential. I have had good luck except when the small container is too full (mixing isn't easy).

BTW - this is with the West System 5:1 ratio mix. Yeah, I agree that scales would be better, but when you need a small amount, real quick, on a non routine basis, the Tic-Tac method does it for me. Doesn't improve the smell of the epoxy though.

-Z

"Joe" wrote in news:1174087034.018546.94070 @n76g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

Reply to
High Score