Mitered Half-Laps

Just put this together:

welcomed.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Informative and nicely done, liked the music too :)

Although I'ved used a router to clean up the bottom I've stopped doing so because I can do it with a four in hand file and/or a chisel faster and about as well.

Reply to
dadiOH

Nice touch with the Jeopardy theme. Joint was well executed too. Joe G

Reply to
GROVER

Agreed, informative and nicely done, Brian! Not too sure about the music, though... :)

Have never made one (yet), but now have a much better understanding of how to do it. Thanks!

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Pretty cool Brian. Nicely done!

Reply to
Leon

--------------------------------------------- Very clever; however, the Jeopardy Show might voice an objection unless you are willing to pay for the right to use their material.

"Sneaking up on it" doesn't do much for me.

Isn't "Tooling" is supposed to eliminate the need to sneak up on it?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, I'm sure they're reeeeeal concerned with that.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Lew,

Would you consider using a jig to hold the work piece at 45 degrees, so you could cut the joint with a TS and a fence (like they often do for a lapped joint)? Once you got set up it seems like it would be very fast.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

You obviously have a better way to do it so I suggest you do it your way.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

--------------------------------- Unfortunately, I'm very serious.

----------------------------------

---------------------------------------- You asked for comments, I made one.

It definitely was not made under the "vicous personal attack" category.

Not sure it be any better, but a couple of sleds (miter & std) with suitable stops would be easier, IMHO.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"GarageWoodworks" wrote

I've heard many horror stores of companies going after anyone infringing upon their copyrights. Disney is one of the toughest. If grandma make a Mickey image on baby's bib, don't go to Disney World wearing it. ASCAP has gone after stores playing music in stores. You'd probably only get a cease and desist order if it is non-commercial, but I'd not use anyone's music or images unless they are in the public domain.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

On Sat, 27 Mar 2010 12:35:49 -0700, the infamous "Lew Hodgett" scrawled the following:

My thoughts exactly. I'd have mounted the board in a jig and used a much larger bit with guide to take it at the line, then quickly pare off the rest of the field in 1/10th the time and effort.

A tenon jig would have been a whole lot quicker, too, including building the 45-degree tenoning jig. ;)

-- "Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein -=-=-

Reply to
Larry Jaques

That would be performance to an audience (customers) for commercial gain. They have whole division set up just to track down stores who don't pay the public performance fees. That's because there are thousands of stores playing music to millions of customers and it's been proven that the music makes them buy more=commercial gain.

They're not going to waste time and resources going after someone who uses they're outdated theme song as a parody in a video on an obscure website that gets a few hundred hits.

Even if it was on youtube, getting a million hits and he was generating ad revenue, it would probably fall under the under 30 seconds fair use rules.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Larry, honestly, I try to like you but when you write these juvenile little action scripts, etc., it come across as very condescending and immature.

How about you guys take some videos and post them.

Reply to
-MIKE-

"-MIKE-" wrote

My wife does machine embroidery and has a collection of thousands of characters. She is also up on the latest problems with copyright infringement and knows all the stories, especially of Disney. They have been verified. I don't really give a crap what you believe, but there have even been court cases where anything commercial was involved.

You may even be unaware of the Sonny Bono Copyright Term Extension Act but that does not mean it does not exist either. Steamboat Willy lives. Check the 1999 Eric Eldred filings that have been struck down. The Disney Empire depends on intellectual property and they defend it vigorously.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

it so I suggest you do it your

A combination of a condescending question and snide comment. Nothing constructive.

I wouldn't call it personal but attack fits.

Sounds interesting, but I'm having trouble following you. Do you have a video camera? I'd love to see this.

Or. How about a few pictures the old fashioned way.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Thanks to all that checked out the video! Like I said at the end, there are a half-dozen other ways to do this, but this is my preferred. I sincerely appreciate your feedback.

--with the exception of one mean dude. :^(

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Nice video and funny music. My wife laughed her ass off. I think that it's real nice of you to show videos of things you do to guys that have a little to moderate experience so that they can add this to their "I can do list". I personally like splined miters but I didn't do a video to show how. Good on you I say.

Russ P.

Reply to
RP

I really like your videos and have learned a lot from them (and will review them as needed ;). I too was disappointed in the "sneak up on" advice. That's the part that always bites me. The jig is a fantastic idea (a hint on how to make them would be nice) and I'll steal that part, however I'll do my best to figure out a way around the "sneak up on" part.

IS there a reason you used such a small router bit? It would seem like a 1/2" bit in a 3/4" bushing, or some such, would be easier and give a known "sneak up" factor.

Reply to
krw

Those are the same questions I have. Why sneak up rather than make the line the first cut?

And the small bit had me pondering too.

The jigs are great, but I don't really get the rest of the technique. It seems to me with a bit more thought they could be modified to eliminate the sneaking...

Reply to
Dave Balderstone