message volume

Is it my ISP or has traffic in this newsgroup dropped? I used to see over

100 messages a day, now it's down around 50-60. This used to be one of the few newsgroups that didn't drop off in the summer or even for holidays. Now it seems it has.
Reply to
Larry Blanchard

It isn't just this group. Newsgroups in general, have dropped off in recent years. Spammers, trolls, politics, etc. have taken their toll.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

All Clinton's fault.

Reply to
Robatoy

It has dropped significantly below pre 06/24/2008 levels.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I subscribe to over 20 newsgroups and all of them have reduced activity. I have been using newsgroups since 1989. Back then there were very few spammers, floods, and off-topic posts. With some newsgroups I have dropped them in favor of moderated forums, although the responses can be quite slow.

Reply to
Phisherman

Right on!

Reply to
sweet sawdust

Which one?

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:uSNck.678$HY.470 @trnddc01:

Yep, another Verizon man. Hang in there, Lew!

Reply to
Han

Yep, significant decrease in traffic. Part of the reason could be fallout from the large amount of OT posted over the last year or so.

Reply to
ROY!

My guess is that many dorkers switched over to Vito's group where there are no posts about smelly tools.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

George

Reply to
Dave - Parkville, MD

But, if you drop the spam flood that we had out of the numbers, it hasn't dropped nearly as much..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis
1989 ???

What ISP were you us>

Reply to
Pat Barber

newsgroups were around a LONG time before isp's were. back then it was usenet, with computers passing around newsgroup traffic between them. i've been using email since 1973, newsgroups since about 1985 or so, long before isp's were around.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

What email were you using in 1973?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

i worked for the air force in the pentagon doing studies about this newfangled thing called the arpanet in conjunction with sri, who were in california. i worked on a system called multics, and can remember when the number of sites on the arpanet was numbered by the handful. i did one of the first studies on using this odd looking thing called a mouse (and also a chord keyboard) doing intercontinental document editing, to see if the response time was usable across the arpanet at what was then great distances. my office then got a new computer, a dec 11/45, and loaded up unix license #7 for investigation. i can remember when the first routers (called tips) were about the size of large refrigerators.

if you've seen the cringley tv show on the start of the internet, i was involved in a lot of that early hardware.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

It could also be that Google groups is not working correctly. I posted the above early this morning (0700 hrs) and it didn't show in google until after 1400 hrs.

I'm going to try and re-establish a connection through Comcast since they recently bought my non-newsgroup ISP.

Reply to
Limp Arbor

You are surely referring to either colleges and/or military. I have been the computing business for

38 years and so I speak from experience.

charlie wrote:

Reply to
Pat Barber

Ahhhh - I know multics well. A Honeywell/GE operating system - very favored by the US Govt.

I was not aware that multics had an email capability.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

POSTS MADE 4/23 - 5/23 DURING FOLLOWING YEARS

YEAR TOTAL POSTS

2008 4010 2007 3910 2006 6750 2005 7380 2004 11500
Reply to
tjwatson1