Medium Density Outlay Plywood

Has anyone used medium density outlay plywood in any of their outdoor projects? Did you like it/dislike it? Saw "Ask This Old House" last night on PBS and they built a window box out of it. Have seen the product around, but thought it was mdf.

Any tips on what to do, not to do, when using it.

Reply to
Rod Nic

Are you sure that you don't mean "medium density OVERLAY?"

I have seen Norm use this stuff for outdoor projects in several NYW episodes - says its used to make road signs, so it stands up to weather and takes paint very well. I think it is basically an exterior plywood with a paper-like finish.

I never personaaly used it tho.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

The finish looks like brown paper, but I'm told it's some sort of resin with fibers embedded.

It works great for shop jigs, and I've laid out model railroad roadbed on it because it's so nice to draw on. Then I can really see where to cut :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I'm using it now to cover two story outdoor deck posts. It is working well for this application as it will be painted. Around here in Oregon, traffic signs are made from MDO.

MDO aka Medium density overlay has a plywood substrate.

If using outdoors, make sure to back prime. SH

Reply to
Slowhand

Right. It is resin-impregnated paper (very similar construction to Formica but without the topmost plastic color skin) over exterior glue plywood.

I've used it for the top of two boxes to either side of my front entry stairs. The painted MDO gets direct rain and roof runoff (no gutters) and other weather exposure. It's been 5 years or so since I built these boxes and they show no signs of delamination or other rot.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Reply to
Tom Watson

Just an add on that I posted pics at abpw that (proudly I might add) display the use of mdo. SH

"Slowhand" well for this application as it will be painted. Around here in Oregon,

Reply to
Slowhand