measure twice cut once

It's not the loss of a layer per se... it's the difference between the nominal thickness (e.g., 1/2" performance category) and the actual thickness after sanding (e.g., 15/32"). To confound things there is actual 1/2" plywood available... There are also performance ratings for structural uses, e.g., that 15/32" sheet may perform as a 1/2" sheet in structural applications. I'm not sure that stores like Home Depot that list the actual dimensions rather than the nominal dimensions help the situation... locally if I go into a yard that primarily caters to the trades and ask for 1/2" CDX (I can get fir or pine) they know what I want. Ask the same question in Home Depot and you may be told they don't have 1/2" CDX (as I have been though I finally did locate it on my own).

This situation is not different from the nominal and actual sizes of dimension lumber... as we all know a S4S 2"x4" is never 2"x4" but rather the actual size is close to 1.5"x3.5" However, the actual size of a nominal

2"x4" is not a sure thing either as surfacing can occur before drying (noted as S-GRN on the grade stamp) or after drying depending on the source. In either surfacing case it's close enough for rough framing!

has lots of information on plywood!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin