measure twice cut once

Nope, not if you cut it "in half", as clearly stated.

Reply to
Swingman

at least you know what the problem is if they cut it wrong they should fix the problem

Reply to
Electric Comet

If you start with plywood that is exactly 96" wide and cut it exactly in half, assuming the saw blade is a typical 1/8" thick, the pieces won't be 48", they'll be 47 15/16".

Reply to
Just Wondering

My Home Depot's policy is "We'll cut it if you want, but we can't be responsible if the results aren't to your satisfaction. You own it".

Reply to
Bill

;~) Hey, YOU "get it" too.

Reply to
Leon

Actually I believe you end up with just shy of 60" for each piece, not

48". ;~) To end up with two, 48" long pieces the sheet would have to be 96" + the width of your saw blade kerf.
Reply to
Leon

I guess we need to invent a "zero kerf/zero swarf" cutting method to solve this problem... maybe a hydraulic "paper cutter" or "pizza cutter" device would work? ;~)

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

"John Grossbohlin" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'd suggest a giant "LAY-ZER". I'll use it to cut your wood unevenly unless you pay me... ONE MILLION DOLLARS!!!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

When building base cabinets that are traditionally 24" deep, I minimize waste (IOW, getting two, correctly grain oriented, end panels for the cabinet sides out of one 48" width sheet) by cutting the end panels 23

15/16" wide, then cut the dadoes in the FF's to receive the end panels 3/16" deep, instead of 1/4".

That way I end up with an assembled base cabinet that is precisely 24" deep.

Sounds a bit anal, but we often build for spaces that don't yet exist, so religiously maintaining that type of precision throughout a project keeps cumulative errors from causing problems during installation.

Reply to
Swingman

Comes from Chile. The large tree farms there and lumber mills.

Mart>

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

I buy plywood

Reply to
Leon

Wouldn't that make the cabs precisely 24-1/2" deep?

Reply to
Leon

Last I checked on their web sites, the nominal manufacturers' exterior dimensions were still listed in inches...well, let's check again...

Ayup...

Reply to
dpb

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

How thick is the face frame? Assume it's 3/4:

23-15/16 panel 12/16 face frame 3/16 dado

23-15/16 + 12/16 - 3/16 = 23-24/16 or 24-1/4

If the face frame is 1/2, then it works out to 24 exactly.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

Check the thickness. See if it is a real 3/4" or 1/2".

So much is metric that is close. Trimmed down and that is it.

If you have a local ply mill then the buyers might buy from it.

Depends on where the forest they use is. If in South America then the ply comes from there. Lower cost to ship.

If from a local forest and mill structure - it might be metric or Imperial.

And cutting a 96" board in half won't give you 48" x 48".

Mart> >> They don't make 4x8' anymore. It is all metric and is close to that

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Check the manufactuer's website spec's given earlier...they're in English units, 48x96 at thicknesses 1/32" under the nominal historical dimensions.

Nobody's claiming you can take a length and remove a kerf thickness and have the initial total length and my only comment was that US manufacturers are still using English nominal measurements for at least construction ply; some furniture/cabinet-grade products are otherwise.

Reply to
dpb

Nope! 24-1/2" as I stated. 23-24/16 does not reduce to 24-1/4.

23-24/16 reduces to 24-8/16

I could be wrong here but I don't think any "normal" cabinet face frames are 1/2" thick.

Reply to
Leon

Leon wrote in news:kt2dnZMT5MNkZu snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

You're right. That's what I get for trying to do math in my head :-(

John

Reply to
John McCoy

;~) I think Swingman might have misstated. He and I have built 50+ of those cabinets and face frames together. But he and I are both pretty anal about cutting down waste.

Reply to
Leon

So the 1/2" sheet measures out at a 12mm sheet that has large dimensions. They don't take 1/32 away from you for nothing.

1/32 of a sheet of 1/2" is a loss of a layer. Loss of material and the dato blades have to be tuned less than the 1/2" of years ago.

Mart> >> Check the thickness. See if it is a real 3/4" or 1/2".

Reply to
Martin Eastburn