Makiwara Post

Anyone have plans for a makiwara?

"Oh Charles . . .that's just a plank"

Which is essentially true.

I'm after a couple particular characteristics.

  1. It needs to be practical. I have a source for the padding, so that's no biggy. BUT it needs to withstand hard training by grown men, some quite large and strong.

  1. It needs to have a base that won't damage matting. Usually, they're attached to the ground, sometimes mounted on walls. But I'd like to have this be a portable unit.

  2. It needs to look as good as it can and still be practical.

Good pics would suffice.

Where's JOAT when I need 'im?

Reply to
Charles Krug

Twenty-five years ago, my first club (the Budokwai in London UK), had a makiwara attached to a wooden platform that you would stand on and that two people could move around easily. It took some pretty hard knocks (including from the South-East English champion), and it had a delightful feel to it (if your kime was right, it also made a generous "CRACK", and just vibrated if not). As I remember it, the post was stiffened with a triangular gusset. That might need some adjustment to get the bounce right.

As for looks, it was just painted dark brown. But I can just imagine a fine oil finish...

only one p in my real address / un seul p dans ma véritable adresse

Reply to
Peter Wells

He'd just tell you to DAGS on "makiwara"

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone