Makita Cordless Drill Question

I recently purchased a Makita cordless drill. This is my first such tool and have question regarding some of the function switches which are poorly explained in the instruction booklet.

(Sorry, I don't have the model number handy -- I left the drill at work.)

There are two switches on the "back" of the drill body which apparently control the drill's function with regards to the operation being performed, be it a)drilling or b)driving screws.

See pic:

is a large thumb actuated switch that has two positions (1 and 2) that controls the speed. It is located aft of the chuck and is common to every drill I've seen. Easy enough to understand what that one does.

My question is in regards to the second, smaller switch, which also has two positions, each identified by a picture: one is a "screw", and the other is a "drill bit". There is a red locking switch that prevents this switch (which moves left to right) from being unintentionally moved from one setting to the other. This switch is located between the aforementioned speed switch and the "drag" ring aft of the chuck.

The instruction booklet says to set the switch position according to the operation being performed. Fine. But, it doesn't attempt to explain what purpose that this serves. To my eyes, I see absolutely NO DIFFERENCE in the drill's performance, regardless of the setting I select. I've never seen this type of switch on any other cordless drill. The salesperson who sold me the tool has no idea what it does. Neither did the Makita rep I spoke to.

Why must I move this switch to one side when drilling and to the other when driving screws? No other drill has this built-in time wasting feature.

What the hell does this switch do??? }:O)

Reply to
DC

I would have to guess that the switch is to switch from drilling to screwing without having to turn the "drag collar" all the way up. My older one has five "drag" settings plus a drill setting on the collar. To go from driving with a low setting you have to turn the collar all the way up to the drill setting. I'm guessing you could leave yours set to(for example) a number 3 for driving and then switch to drilling by moving the one switch.

To test, try setting the collar at a "2" for example, with the switch in drive mode; now hold the chuck and turn the drill on. The drag clutch should slip at a fairly low power. Now, without moving the drag collar, change the button to "drill". If you try holding the chuck now, it should stop the drill IF you can hold it that tight.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Exactly. Carry on using low gear/ high torque for driving screws, high gear/ lower torque for drilling. Better still, leave it in high gear all the time and buy an impact driver for screwdriving. Is it just me or have Makita gone downhill lately? Still wouldn't be without my LS1013 chop saw or 3612CX router though.

Reply to
deadlock

... that would be bad. A great saw.

Reply to
Robatoy

Sure is. Picked up a pair of Bosch 96T Special Alu blades for it last week on a two for one offer, man those things cut clean.

Reply to
deadlock

This is a very useful switch. The drill switch setting is obviously for drilling but also over rides the clutch. If you are using small screws and are using a low number clutch setting you will easily strip out the screws or wood if you use the drill setting. If you use the screw setting to drill holes the clutch will slip.

Reply to
Leon

I use this feature all the time. Much easier to flip the switch from drill to screw rather than twist the clutch setting up and down. Especially when using small screws.

Reply to
Leon

You guys only use one drill?

I'll usually have one with the drill bit and another with the screwdriver bit.

Reply to
B A R R Y

When I am around the shop I may have 3 or 4 drills set up. On location at a customers house usually 1 drill.

Reply to
Leon

That makes sense! I'll try as you suggest and report back. Thanks!!!

Reply to
DC

Thanks for your feedback! I'm gonna play with it and figure this out.

Boy, the manual that came with the drill sure is useless.

Reply to
DC