Makita Cordless Drill No Longer Reverses - Can I fix this?

Okay okay I should definitely not have done it but I handed my 5 year old 9.6 V Makita cordless drill to a temporary worker, a kid, who didn't really understand them (he SAID he did but no, as it turns out)and he held onto the snout and twisted it (in F) in reverse to back out a bit. He must have done this with steely determination. The F/R switch will no longer go into R, it freezes 1/2 way there, and only the forward torque works - there is no action in the 1/2way there, and when I slide it to the full R posiition it will not only not remain in that position but there is no action at that position either.

Has anyone popped the case on these to see if it's intelligible in there? Should I have a go inside at fisxing this?

I have 3 of these and am dedicated to them. The ones with higher voltage are too heavy for me, I'm a girl thankyou, and I still use the batteries that have the one metal clamp in front. Unfortunately the other 2 drills are at home, which is in a different state from my art studio where I am now, and I do not have that much work in January or I would probably just go out and buy another drill.

Thanks in advance to anyone troubling to reply who knows something about this. Sometimes the repair people at customer service at Matita/Hitachi/Bosh/etc are really great and sometimes they just make one sad at their entire disregard for someone who's trying to get a job done. Deborah

Reply to
DEBORAH DOYLE

there are 3 interrelated parts:

1) the switch that you flip for F/R 2) a detent spring that holds the switch fast 3) the actual electrical switch inside that is also connected to the trigger.

one of those components has gone belly up.

If you take it apart, you should be able to isolate the defective part.

dave

DEBORAH DOYLE wrote:

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Well I'm not a girl, but I like the smaller size of the 9.6v drills because they fit inside places like cabinets or between studs better than the big ones. Makita's web site under service has parts drawings available in .pdf format for download so you can see what is inside. If your drill is like mine there is a simple switch in the rear of the drill, should be an inexpensive part (the whole motor is only $20). You can call and order from them or plug in your address to locate a dealer who can order and sell you the parts or could fix it for you if you don't want to take it apart yourself (they come apart easily, take out all the screws and they come in half and all the guts stay in on half. I've bought a few of the 9.6v tools off ebay, some working, some broken, some just needed cleaned up, fixed what needed fixed and use they all the time.

Reply to
Eugene

I'm taking bets he dropped it on its heel, or used it as a hammer.

Just got a 30th anniversary version long battery myself. Replacement NiCd for my fifteen year old one was $40, did the Menard 18% off and on sale for the new one with _two_ NiMH batteries for $58.

My hand spans 10" and I love the standard and right angle versi>

Reply to
George

I'm still trying to get a right angle. No Menards near here. I've been thinking about picking up a new one sice I can get the whole kit for the price of two new batteries.

Reply to
Eugene