Making a buck saw

This is an awkward process, not because it's hard to make the hole but that it's hard to place the hole accurately. It's not easy to start the hole accurately and because it's thin, tough steel there's a risk of snatching on breakthrough.

This is a much over-rated process. Your sheet has a heatsink, the drill bit is a thin wire. In a rate to softening point, the drill is likely to lose. It works, but it's very hard on your drills. Use an small masonry bit to anneal the spot instead, then drill with a cold twist dril.

Not for ages. But these drill bits are just M42 grade HSS, which you can buy at good (i.e. industrial) toolshops. They're usually silver, not black and never gold coloured. They are _not_ blue or rainbow coloured - those are cheap knock-off "cobalt coated" bits and are worthless.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I had to run some errands tonight, so I didn't get the opportunity to get them together, but I'll make sure they're up by this weekend. With any luck, I'll get the camera to work by then as well...

Reply to
Prometheus

That's why I said to anneal it with a blunt rod like a nail with the point ground off.

The guy I bought mine from said the point on the tip was made from silicon (not tungsten) carbide. These were black.

Reply to
fredfighter

Where's C-less?

I do believe he had a project that could be expanded to a proper buck saw...

Oh, Larry?

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I asked the mavens on rec.crafts.metalworking about that technique. Don't try it on high speed steel, they point out.

Reply to
Australopithecus scobis

I used a hand punch press to pop holes in bandsaw blade stock for my infamous bow saur. Vive la Roper Whitney!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Got pichers a that thin'yet?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Huh? Why would I take pictures of a hand punch, Owie? ;)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Your sidestep indicates the answer is "no." ;)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

That bow saur is my Unfinished Symphony, dude. Gimme a break.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Heart Attacks: God's revenge for eating his little animal friends --

Comprehensive Website Development --

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Totally. If you ever finished it we'd all be poorer. It's much more fun with it being a vapor tool. %-)

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

It's not a vapor tool, it's simply a work in progress, Dave.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Then here's to the journey. And I meant it about the poorer.

Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
Dave in Fairfax

Mr. Jaques' Opus?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Thanks. I'll try to avoid finishing it this decade. (Either?)

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Ah ain't no penguin.

-------------------------------------------------------------------- Unfortunately, the term "Homo Sapiens" is a goal, not a description. ----

Web Design for YOUR Business!

Larry Jaques

Speaking of works in progress, is Dina finally finished, or is it still a "work in progress"?(R,D&G)

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Got the *plan* up on ABPW, sorry about the delay- lots of stuff going on this week. Works really well, but it's right on the edge of being a two-person saw. If you decide to make one like it, make sure you've got a good sawbuck! The plan is a little rough, it's been a while since I used Corel Draw, so if you've any questions, just let me know and I'll clarify things. The shape of the handles is a rough approximation of a picture I found on an antique tools website, and the crossbar just has those little reliefs on it so it doesn't look too clunky. My first inclination was to file the handles to round them over, but after about 30 minutes of that, I remembered my PC690, and decided to just use a roundover :)

The saw is hard maple, and there is very little bowing when in use. Might put some little walnut inserts in it to dress it up, but I haven't decided yet. Either way, it's in use now, so I figure I've got time to decide that later.

Reply to
Prometheus