Make That Hole Bigger!

They are sold by others, but are very expensive.

Like most HF copies of otherwise expensive tools, I thought these would be lousy. But they are higher quality than I expected. You'll see them a lot in the electrical and sheet metal industries where they after have to enlarge holes in metal.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Forstner bits are edge guided, there's no centering point. OK?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Any chance he was Emma Peel's granddad?

Reply to
Larry Kraus

He already explained his comment. Most Forstners have center points. I had to look pretty hard to find some that didn't. Maybe they started out without a center, but seems like 90% have them today.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Internet searches are your friend.

Both descriptions are correct. A Forsner bit does have a centering point. It is very useful to position the bit at a hole's center point. But a Forstner bit is also edge guided, which makes it fairly easy to enlarge a hole with the next size bit.

Just Wondering

You guys need to read the entire thread before commenting. None of those bits pictured are the ones he's talking about.

Not without a drill press, it's not. Hence the technique shown in my video. Again, please read the whole thread before replying.

Reply to
-MIKE-

or peelers.

Now there's a woman (Diana Rigg) I'd hoped would never get old. But she did age gracefully - at 60 she still looked pretty good!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

I don't know if you're right or wrong, and I don't have time to read back through every thread. But right or wrong, you're a jerk.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Perhaps if you read the entire thread (what... too important to read 10 entries?) you would see the context of the comment.

OK, MIKE... you wrote that... so shame on you for trying to politely keep this thread on track. Shame... go have a beer and think about what you have done.

I think I will too!

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Well, if you're gonna twist my arm. :-D

Reply to
-MIKE-

No, he's not too important -- just too lazy. Additionally he clearly doesn't care about knowing all the facts. What does that tell you?

He's a Democrat.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I finally used the one I've got. It says england on the shaft I think it's sorby

Wow this is a great bit to have. I was covering some wood with sheet metal and this let me get the size for bolts just right. Understand now why the are called step bits

for a small vase I used this to make a tapered hole then a regular bit to go further. I wanted to maintain the vase's weight at the base.

I started paying attention to these on the store shelf and they are very expensive will check out HF bits for sure

Reply to
Electric Comet