Magnetic feather boards etc

I cannot seem to find any information on those magnetic feather boards I have seen at the woodworking shows. (I won't go back to the one here in Portland, gauging for parking, admission and the show continues to decrease in size and substance)

Was wondering if anybody has a line on where I can get them? Along with that, anybody have experience using those? Are they as good as what the maker says? They seem really cool, as long as the cast top is available to mount them to.

Thanks for any input...

Mark

Reply to
Markndawoods

Is this what you're talking about:

my opinion they work great.

JJS

Markndawoods wrote:

Reply to
No-One

Im guessing you might be referring to the Grip-Tite model? You can buy them here >

and easy to use, and work just like any other featherboard. I have 2 and find them quite useful. Sometimes a bit of a yank to free them from the table but at least you know they wont move in use :)

Dean

Reply to
Woodcrafter

Do you mean these?

Saudade

The designs for the last three years have included a little lever on the back of the grip-tite. Just twist it to the left or right and it removes the grip-tite from any surface with yanking. It should be easy to retrofit to any grip-tite.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

The link has already been posted. By the way, I have two GRRrippers and the grip-tites. I use the both and love them all. They are complementary to each other - GRRripper for cutting small, short pieces. Grip-tites for all the rest of the cuts.

I also bought and installed the steel fence for the grip-tites. This allows you to mount the grip-tite to the fence and use the little pressure roller options. This is how I use them all the time. I never use them mounted on the table.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

Cool :) Have to investigate.

Reply to
Woodcrafter

========================================================== Mark: Without reading the other replies 1st...

I'll tell you that I have had one of these magnetic featherboards for years and it has also been years since I last used it...

Personally I do not like it...very hard to adjust it the way "I" like...also kind of hard to remove it...since it is a strong ...very strong magnet .. though of adding a cam like release bolt to it but never got around to it.

I now use a Benchdog featherboard which works so much easier plus it works great on my benchdog router table...where the magnetic one is totally useless...

Just my opinion...

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.
  • Vote on answer
  • posted

Reply to
Jan Egil Sjåstad

I've had these for two years now on my General 650 cabinet saw, routinely use them, and think they are an absolutely wonderful invention. I have the ones with the cams in back to make lift off easier. I mounted the metal strip to my fence - quite easy.

$.02

Reply to
auto119042

I totally agree. While they tend to have a good grip straight up and down I found that they easily slid parallel to the surface and really did not provide a positive hold.

Again I totally agree. These have a positive grip.

Reply to
Leon

I love these things for use on a Jointer but like to go with in the slot versions for TS and router table

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Why? Just habit or are there some practical reasons?

Reply to
Upscale

My findings are that a slot holds the feather board from slipping the magnet type hold downs do not hold fast then pushed side to side.

Reply to
Leon

You obviously aren't holding your mouth right, Leon.

You might change your mind for table saw ripping, if you tried them using the magnetic fence with the little springy rollers, but that's a lot of trouble to put together unless you are highly motivated. I like how they "pull" the stock into the fence as you roll it forward. It really works. My cuts became consistently even and perfect when I started using them. I"m sure I could get the same results with more acquired skill, but I really got tired of having to deal with various push sticks and other faldarah. I especially like how well they control narrow long cuts - those that used to scare me to death.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob

I bought 2 hold downs plus the metal fence to attach to my fence. They both slipped and would not hold in place where I put them. I sent them back.

Reply to
Leon