Lose knots sink knives on Delta TP400

I recently planed several hundred feet of 1" spruce boards, all went well, or so it seemed. At some point near the end of that work a lose knot must have jammed against the knife, resulting in a severe bend in one of the knives and knife locking bar. The deviation was close to 1/8 inch. Nasty. On a related note I just got the delta 22-580 two speed 13" model to replace old TP400. I searched comments on the 580 on various sites. One woodworker was of the opinion that the two speeds could be a potential souce of problems. Sure enough, although the new machine worked great right out of the box, after changing to finishing speed, the speed control lever would not return to dimensioning speed, unless I fiddled with the rollers. The Canadian Delta offices are closed today for the holiday. Any other delta 580 users had this problem? Opinions welcome TIA

Reply to
Ken

only change speed with the motor running

Reply to
Jim & Sharon

Doh! I did read the manual but what I read and what I understood were opposites. Temporary dyslexia perhaps?? There's always some new thing when going from the basic to the multifangled model. Thanks Jim and Sharon.

Reply to
Ken

Yep, had the same "problem" here. When I started following the directions, I am pleased to report the speed changing problem healed itself. The 580 is like the Energizer bunny. It just keeps working and working and working. One of these days I'll take the time to turn my knives over. I've a some rought Teak waiting to turn into a beautiful project. I bet that does the knives in a hurry.

Bob

Reply to
BillyBob