Looks like PC is following the path of B&D

Yeah, but it's more like, "BILLY MAYS HERE! ..."

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

But the subject was power tools not hand tools.

Reply to
Leon

Hmmmm...... last time I used my cordless drill, I used my hands to hold it and guide it. Using the drill press, I cannot hold it and use it.

When I use my circular saw, I hold it in my hands and guide it; my table saw stays in place and I can't move it.

Are you saying that a cordless drill is actually a stationary tool? Are you saying that a cordless drill is not a hand tool?

If my cordless drill is supposed to be mounted on in some device to make it stationary, or if it is not supposed to be held in my hands when I drill, drive screws, sand or polish with it, I need a diagram on its use as I have been using them the wrong way for years.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

If the power doesn't come from your muscles it's not a "hand tool".

A cordless drill or a circular saw is a "portable power tool", not a "hand tool".

At least if you're looking them up in a tool catalog that's how you're going to find them organized.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The 'cordless' feature would be kind of useless when mounted in some kind of device, no?

Reply to
Robatoy

Yes.

A cordless drill is a power tool. Planes, chisels, scrapers, hammers, etc. are hand tools. The definition of hand tools has always excluded anything with a motor.

I'll admit that language changes over time, but I'm not ready to change that definition yet :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That was actually part of my own obtuse way of making my point. I don't care who or what powers it, if I hold it and guide it in my hand while using it, to me it is a "hand tool".

But, to expand on my point since at least part of this thread is concerned with accuracy of the typed word, one must remember the battery powered miter saws that were around for a while. Made to be partnered to the gas powered trim guns, the theory was that you drove up on the job with all batteries charged and with your gas powered guns no longer needed any kind of air lines or power cords. Less hassle when arriving and leaving, and less equipment to maintain, and clutter inside a smaller house.

To me, the cordless miter box is not a hand tool since you don't hold, support it, or guide it in your hands during its use. But the gas gun you shoot the trim on with is indeed a hand tool.

More importantly to me personally, a few years ago when my truck was broken into and several tools were stolen, the insurance company considered anything in the tool box a hand tool. Drills, saws, etc., were all classified the same.

They were not interested in the semantics, current accepted usage, or any neander driven arguments about the labels of the tools stolen. In fact to be honest, they weren't concerned with my loss at all.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

I suppose you noticed that the tool line is for Lowes Home Centers "only". Lowes is forver coming up with the "bargin basement tool lines.

They are cheap and don't last long.

I'm not sure who goes after who, but the Hitachi switch over has not proven to be a success and now this fall, I bet you see another vendor.

Reply to
Pat Barber

(I forgot the 'tongue firmly planted in cheek' emoticon... izzit something like 8^* ?)

I agree. Stationary tools are tools to which you bring the piece that is being worked on, a hand tool is a tool you take to the piece you're working on. Both are portable tools. Some more so than others. Some are movable stationary tools. I would consider a stud-finder and a flashlight hand tools, even though they're electrified. EEeeeelectrified!!!

But, I try not to pay too much attention to those who nit-pick at semantics .. they're usually holed up in a basement with nothing else to do...and never contribute anything worthwhile.

=3D0)

Reply to
Robatoy

" snipped-for-privacy@aol.com" wrote in news:28d1f5ed- snipped-for-privacy@e39g2000hsf.googlegroups.com:

*snip*

The way I see things is that a "hand tool" is powered by hand. If you move your hands to perform its function (but not to control the tool or operate it) then it's a hand tool.

If you guide a tool, but the power to perform its function comes from any source but your hand, it's a power tool. I realize such tools as a foot powered sharpening stone or lathe would be considered a power tool by this definition.

Think of it as "hand-powered tool" and "not hand-powered tool." There are tools that fit in both categories.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

We are like minded on that point.

LOL. Probably more energy than it's worth to make a point with crowd than it's worth anyway. At the ballgame the other night, I am reminded of a conversation between two of my friends about a third party that was no in attendance.

"Damn that was one argumentative sombitch! He pissed me off more than once - I hope you don't bring him out here again. A little of him sure goes a long way."

*chuckle* "Well, that's the way Bill is... for him, arguing is sport. If have a white golf ball in your hand, he will argue with you about what color it is".

Overhearing this, I responded - "why in the hell would you spend your free time around a contentious asshole that has nothing better to do than to stir up pointless crap for his own amusement?"

To borrow your "phrase" -->> =0)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

All of the eggbeater drills and breast drills I have seen were cordless...

Reply to
Fred the Red Shirt

Reply to
Brent Beal

There's one in every crowd :-).

I should have seen that coming, as I have a small collection of push drills :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Woodwerkin' just gets harder and harder..

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

No, I thought it take a bit longer to lower the quality.

Reply to
Leon

Nobody can look me in the eye and tell me that a 20-pound sledgehammer is NOT a 'power tool'.

:>}

Reply to
Robatoy

Ha! Amen!

And so versatile, too. I am wondering why we haven't seen Billy Mays Here selling them for something.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

"Hello Billy Mays Here here." "Ever seen a tool this versatile? Turn one brick into two small ones with enough material left over to decorate your garden?" " A tool so versatile. you can crushhhh a pop can in one simple action!" "Save on recyclable storage space." "Trouble opening this CD package?" "Try our new SMAKKUM tool." "Handcrafted by decedents of Thor in our new Norwegian foundry." "SMAKKUM" " Order today and we'll include this free hernia kit" "Here's how to order..............."

Reply to
Robatoy

"Robatoy" wrote

"Hello Billy Mays Here here." "Ever seen a tool this versatile? Turn one brick into two small ones with enough material left over to decorate your garden?" " A tool so versatile. you can crushhhh a pop can in one simple action!" "Save on recyclable storage space." "Trouble opening this CD package?" "Try our new SMAKKUM tool." "Handcrafted by decedents of Thor in our new Norwegian foundry." "SMAKKUM" " Order today and we'll include this free hernia kit" "Here's how to order..............."

Shades of Gallagher's "sledgematic".

Reply to
Lee Michaels