Looking for interesting OSB Plywood I saw in a display counter

Hello, I'm working on a furniture project where it would be cool to use so type of material similar to OSB plywood, but of a higher quality. I like the "random" pattern of OSB, and I'm wondering if anyone knows where I can find interesting incarnations of OSB?

Here's what I saw: I was in the mall this weekend and noticed two very interesting types of "plywood" used on a counter display. The first plywood was made of what looks to be wood chips, very similart to what you see on typical OSB. However, the chips appeared to be more directional and the finish was much smoother than typical OSB plywood. The second was made of what appeared to be multiple layers of wood "twigs" (like staws), where each layer was perpendicular to the next. So when viewed from the side, one layer created tiny circle (cross section of the twigs).

Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks

Reply to
benblank

Maybe it was cork and not OSB ?

Reply to
ks1911

Try looking at Avantek or LVL.

Reply to
Carlton Duke

Sounds similar to some PSL beam material (Parallel strand laminate or some such) that I've seen used as garage door headers and other areas where a lengthy beam is required.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin L. Bowling

I have seen and have a couple of products that are "particle" board. One is called Dakota Burl. It is made with the shells of sunflower seeds as the fiber. There is also one called 'bio composite' which uses recycled paper which has been dyed. It comes in several color combinations. There are also a couple of wheat straw products. They are manufactured by the Phenix (spelling?) Corp out of Mankato, MN. Marketed under the name of Environ Bio composits. The resin used is a soy based product, and doesn't have any formaldehyde in it. They have a

4 or 5 sheet minimum order from the factory, and my price including shipping was about $5 per square foot to Oregon. Interseting stuff. It isn't structural, and needs support on about 16 inch centers. The Dakota Burl is very powdery, especially when turning it, which I think is due to the softness of the sunfolwer seed shells. The paper stuff actually cuts better, and when turning, I get shavings, not dust. They both glue up and finish nicely, but need some filling. They also need to be edge banded. Because of the glue, there is some blunting of tools. I have no connection to the company other than a satisfied customer. I like the idea of their product. robo hippy
Reply to
robo hippy