Looking for a "deeper" wood vice

This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I need to hold a part in it that requires the "jaws" to be taller.

happens is that the part hits the guide rods and screw mechanism at the bottom of the jaws and I can't properly hold the part.

Does anyone know where I can get a wood vice with "taller" jaws?

Otherwise, I may just make my own...

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

Take a look at the Emmert clone that Woodcraft offers . The jaws are about 2 inches deep in the "normal" position, about 3-1/2 "upside down", and more than 8 inches sideways.

There are some tricks to using it and it's a bit fiddly to keep adjusted but I consider it money well spent.

For about the same money you can get the Lee Valley twin-screw mechanism that gives you jaws any size you want to make them and screws up to 2 feet apart.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Add facing to the inside of the jaws of the height needed?

Reply to
Nova

Why not make or have made steel plates that bolt onto the jaws that extend the height up to or past the wanted zone.

Most of those vises have holes for wood plates for that purpose.

Any machine shop can make 3/8 or 1/2" plates that hang over the rods and hang under - and extend upwards as you wish. Holes matching the jaws, or if not, countersunk holes on the plates and matching holes and bolts on the jaws.

Mart> This is the wood vice I have now. It works great except that sometimes I

Reply to
Martin Eastburn