Transparant 'Wild Berry' stain on cherry. (NOT kidding)

I posted this as a reply to 'Goodies" but:
Maybe somebody help me. I'm building another 6' x 6' Kenyan Mahogany panel for a 58" plasma. The client wants the cherry end-caps and shelf edges toned into a 'wild-berry'. Pucking Furple, IOW. Irks me to no end, as it happens to be some of the finest cherry I have worked with in years. They want 'Wild Berry'.... but still see the grain. (I think I'm going to get sick) Transparant purple...'Aubergine', maybe....anybody?
I would like something off the shelf, but GIS isn't giving me much.
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 09:23:35 -0800 (PST), Robatoy wrote:

1. Transtint and alcohol mixed to desired color. 2 break open a purple marker and soak the ink out with alcohol. 3. Polk berries, do you have polk berries in the great white?, at any rate out of season everywhere. :)
basilisk
On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 11:40:38 -0600, basilisk wrote:

That's a good suggestion, but alcohol based dyes dry too fast to apply other than by spraying. I mix them with shellac and I mix a lot weaker solution than the bottle suggests. Then I apply with a rag. Works for me.

Purple? Transparent purple?
Is the purple, you mention first (pucking furple), the color of the liquid stain or the finished/dried look?
Or is the transparent purple the finished (dry) look?
I have some waterbase wild cherry stain that is purple looking in the liquid form. Applied to raw cherry, it is transparent (at least while the application is still wet). I just went out to take pics of what I have and took pics of a few examples of the application onto some scrap cherry. Is this what you are looking for?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?saved=1
The application shown is 1 coat wiped on. I'll let it dry and take more pics, later, if you're interested in these samples. I'll stain a few more areas for 2 and 3 coat applications, for comparisons.
Robatoy, are you in Toronto, Canada?
Sonny
Sonny,
I'm curious how you measured the 30 degree and 40 degree angles for the photos. <grin>
On a serious note, thanks for doing stuff like this. It makes the real amateur wood folks like me learn faster and better.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook
V8013-R

This first pics I took had lots of glare, so I didn't think the viewer could see what I, in person, was seeing. I bent down a little, for the subsequent shots, to get views that reduced the glare at/of different perspectives. I estimated the angles.
The Minwax can is there to compare the colors, as sometimes it's hard to tell a correct color, if an item is standing alone... and/or with and without flash. I have found that colors don't always show, in a pic, as seen in person, so I stuck something in the view that everyone is familiar with, hoping that would help. The next pics I take will be in sunlight, not below flourescent lighting (you can see the reflection of the lights in the liquid stain dish).
Sonny

Sarnia, ON. BUT... the last few times I made headway to El Toro, I got weathered out. I am due for a TO trip soon though...(don't tell Froz)
On 3/10/11 5:17 PM, Robatoy wrote:

I heard that. :-)
--
Froz...

I had an errand to run, so I didn't take subsequent pics (the sun has gone down too much), though I did get a second and third coat on some samples. I'll take pics and post, tomorrow.
The Minwax can, itself, was put in the pic for color clarification/ comparison, and not that the contents of the can is the wild cherry stain. I think the contents of that Minwax can is oil based walnut or red mahogany, off the shelf from Lowes.
As for asking if you (your business, not personal) were in Toronto, I had an ulterior motive: If this stain was what you needed, I would mail it (about half a gallon) to your business address, along with some lily bulbs to give to someone, there. There is a gardening chatroom lady friend in Toronto and, understandably, is wary of giving out her personal address, though we've chatted for years. Lately, I've been mailing some unusual and highly sought after lily bulbs to a number of chatroom friends across the US and she expressed she would like some, but is affraid to give her personal info (address). If there was the option for her to pick up the bulbs from a safe locale, like a business, I would try to accommodate her, if the business would help, that way. Sounds extreme to get lily bulbs to someone, but I would ask.
Sonny
On 3/10/11 7:12 PM, Sonny wrote:

Robatoy has built me something, it just has to get here, if you and him can hook up in time before he gets to town.... I do live in Toronto. Although I can't guarantee my wife won't get to the bulbs first. :-) I'll take a direct shipment too, email addy is valid (with a minor fix), but please ensure they are legal to ship across the border, and use USPS for shipping, otherwise the charges can be crazy.
--
Froz...

I appreciate your help, lots. Now is that a standard issue Minwax (mixed by the store?)

Particularly good solution, since if the customer hates it, it's fully reversible with alcohol. Lay down a barrier spit coat before staining.

I shot a deer once who's insides were completely stained purple from all the polk berries it had been eating. JP
I suppose this "stain" I have is not what you are looking for. It seems to have finished like a clear coat, rather than a stain, at least on this cherry wood. http://www.flickr.com/photos/43836144@N04/?saved=1
Sonny

*I* like the finish, for sure. Customer wants more 'wildberry'... driving me nuts with the WILDFARKINGBERRIES!!

Give W D Lockwood a call and tell them what you want to do, what finish, etc., and they'll tell you what dye(s) and who carries their stuff in your area, or they'll sell and ship. http://www.wdlockwood.com/main.html
On 3/10/11 12:23 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Soak in purple grape juice :-)
--
Froz...

On Thu, 10 Mar 2011 12:48:43 -0500, FrozenNorth

Better yet MD 2020.
Mark
Have you considered an automotive "candy color" finish? The effect would be similar to a shellac toner with dye but it would be a prepackaged product. Candy colors are transparent and normally used over a metallic base, but there's no reason they can't be used standalone.
You can have an automotive paint shop mix any color you want if have spray equipment, or you can get a couple of shades of purple in rattle cans for about 40 bucks a pop from <http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killercans/candy/candy.htm .

Excellent lead. Thanks