Transparant 'Wild Berry' stain on cherry. (NOT kidding)

I posted this as a reply to 'Goodies" but:

Maybe somebody help me. I'm building another 6' x 6' Kenyan Mahogany panel for a 58" plasma. The client wants the cherry end-caps and shelf edges toned into a 'wild-berry'. Pucking Furple, IOW. Irks me to no end, as it happens to be some of the finest cherry I have worked with in years. They want 'Wild Berry'.... but still see the grain. (I think I'm going to get sick) Transparant purple...'Aubergine', maybe....anybody?

I would like something off the shelf, but GIS isn't giving me much.

Reply to
Robatoy

  1. Transtint and alcohol mixed to desired color.
2 break open a purple marker and soak the ink out with alcohol.
  1. Polk berries, do you have polk berries in the great white?, at any rate out of season everywhere. :)

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Give W D Lockwood a call and tell them what you want to do, what finish, etc., and they'll tell you what dye(s) and who carries their stuff in your area, or they'll sell and ship.

RicodJour

Soak in purple grape juice :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Better yet MD 2020.

Mark

Reply to
Markem

That's a good suggestion, but alcohol based dyes dry too fast to apply other than by spraying. I mix them with shellac and I mix a lot weaker solution than the bottle suggests. Then I apply with a rag. Works for me.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Purple? Transparent purple?

Is the purple, you mention first (pucking furple), the color of the liquid stain or the finished/dried look?

Or is the transparent purple the finished (dry) look?

I have some waterbase wild cherry stain that is purple looking in the liquid form. Applied to raw cherry, it is transparent (at least while the application is still wet). I just went out to take pics of what I have and took pics of a few examples of the application onto some scrap cherry. Is this what you are looking for?

application shown is 1 coat wiped on. I'll let it dry and take more pics, later, if you're interested in these samples. I'll stain a few more areas for 2 and 3 coat applications, for comparisons.

Robatoy, are you in Toronto, Canada?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'm curious how you measured the 30 degree and 40 degree angles for the photos.

On a serious note, thanks for doing stuff like this. It makes the real amateur wood folks like me learn faster and better.

Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022

01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills:
Spindle Drills:
Tapping:
Site:
Joe AutoDrill

This first pics I took had lots of glare, so I didn't think the viewer could see what I, in person, was seeing. I bent down a little, for the subsequent shots, to get views that reduced the glare at/of different perspectives. I estimated the angles.

The Minwax can is there to compare the colors, as sometimes it's hard to tell a correct color, if an item is standing alone... and/or with and without flash. I have found that colors don't always show, in a pic, as seen in person, so I stuck something in the view that everyone is familiar with, hoping that would help. The next pics I take will be in sunlight, not below flourescent lighting (you can see the reflection of the lights in the liquid stain dish).

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sarnia, ON. BUT... the last few times I made headway to El Toro, I got weathered out. I am due for a TO trip soon though...(don't tell Froz)

Reply to
Robatoy

I appreciate your help, lots. Now is that a standard issue Minwax (mixed by the store?)

Reply to
Robatoy

I heard that. :-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Have you considered an automotive "candy color" finish? The effect would b= e similar to a shellac toner with dye but it would be a prepackaged product= . Candy colors are transparent and normally used over a metallic base, but= there's no reason they can't be used standalone.

You can have an automotive paint shop mix any color you want if have spray = equipment, or you can get a couple of shades of purple in rattle cans for = about 40 bucks a pop from .

Reply to
J. Clarke

I had an errand to run, so I didn't take subsequent pics (the sun has gone down too much), though I did get a second and third coat on some samples. I'll take pics and post, tomorrow.

The Minwax can, itself, was put in the pic for color clarification/ comparison, and not that the contents of the can is the wild cherry stain. I think the contents of that Minwax can is oil based walnut or red mahogany, off the shelf from Lowes.

As for asking if you (your business, not personal) were in Toronto, I had an ulterior motive: If this stain was what you needed, I would mail it (about half a gallon) to your business address, along with some lily bulbs to give to someone, there. There is a gardening chatroom lady friend in Toronto and, understandably, is wary of giving out her personal address, though we've chatted for years. Lately, I've been mailing some unusual and highly sought after lily bulbs to a number of chatroom friends across the US and she expressed she would like some, but is affraid to give her personal info (address). If there was the option for her to pick up the bulbs from a safe locale, like a business, I would try to accommodate her, if the business would help, that way. Sounds extreme to get lily bulbs to someone, but I would ask.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Robatoy has built me something, it just has to get here, if you and him can hook up in time before he gets to town.... I do live in Toronto. Although I can't guarantee my wife won't get to the bulbs first. :-) I'll take a direct shipment too, email addy is valid (with a minor fix), but please ensure they are legal to ship across the border, and use USPS for shipping, otherwise the charges can be crazy.

Reply to
FrozenNorth

ld be similar to a shellac toner with dye but it would be a prepackaged pro= duct. =A0Candy colors are transparent and normally used over a metallic bas= e, but there's no reason they can't be used standalone.

y equipment, or you can get a couple of =A0shades of purple in rattle cans = for about 40 bucks a pop from .

Excellent lead. Thanks

Reply to
Robatoy

Particularly good solution, since if the customer hates it, it's fully reversible with alcohol. Lay down a barrier spit coat before staining.

Reply to
Father Haskell

ray equipment, or you can get a couple of =A0shades of purple in rattle can= s for about 40 bucks a pop from .

No kiddin!

idea.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

spray equipment, or you can get a couple of =A0shades of purple in rattle c= ans for about 40 bucks a pop from .

Think of the possibilities when I make signs with my CNC..... my mind boggles...

Reply to
Robatoy

spray equipment, or you can get a couple of  shades of purple in rattle cans for about 40 bucks a pop from .

Heh heh heh. Mexichrome never had it so good!

I wonder how perfect the base has to be. Probably _absolutely_ flat. This could be an easy way to make custom shaped mirrors, too, huh?

Check out that Lambo in the 2007 SEMA show video. Booful!

-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch

Reply to
Larry Jaques