Looking for a lock miter bit that will cut 1/4" to 1/2" thick wood for
making small boxes. Lee Valley has one that will 3/8" to 1/2" thick
wood, but would like to get a smaller one if possible. Anyone know if
a lock miter bit is made for 1/4" material. Thanks.
I used to worry about finding the same thing for jewelry boxes. Instead
I just miter a 45 with a chamfer bit and apply tight bond.
My proceedure is to
1) size the wood.
2) run each piece through the chamfer bit
3) apply glue and band clamp everything together
4) check for squareness adjust as needed
5) pin nail everything so it stays together while the glue cures
6) remove the band clamp and set aside.
I've done boxes with up to 8 sides. The toughest part is fitting a
bottom into rabbit cuts because I don't have a good miter saw
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.