life of a tree revealed in the rings

do some searching that is how i found it you could hire someone I guess too

Reply to
Electric Comet

If you did, you could certainly post the result.

I did do some searching and found _nothing_ even close to the specific claim.

So, again, if you want to make a convert, provide the material. As said, if it's really so, I'd like to know how and where.

Reply to
dpb

just keep trying that is the best thing to do

or be content to believe what you want

Reply to
Electric Comet

Nonsense. You're just blowin' smoke 'cuz you know it ain't so but can't admit it.

Reply to
dpb

this is good sign if you could do this you should be able to perform a simple search

but the insults are the sign of a failure on your part

Reply to
Electric Comet

OK, I'll wait for just one more attempt. No insult intended, just perception of fact that you have no real information to impart.

_IF_ you did such a search successfully it should take you less time to reenter the string for which you found the desired info and post a result or _at_a_minimum_ post the winning search string that uncovered the elusive tidbit than you've taken otherwise to respond with nothing.

Or, even failing that, provide in your own words the physiology of botanic growth that can produce this phenomenon of a single growth ring taking "decades" to form such that it supposedly is a tenet of dendrochronology but somehow isn't mentioned in any summary of tenets or limitations of the field I can find.

I've outlined my understanding of how there could possibly be an _additional_ one here and there owing to climatic variation inducing an additional growth/dormant cycle in a given calendar year and have hypothesized the narrowness or even absence of one now and again but I really can not see how there could be such a case as to take ten years or more for a given growth cycle to have occurred frequently enough it would be a regular feature to be accounted for in the field.

If you can fill me in on what I'm missing, I'm all ears (or eyes :) )...

Reply to
dpb

Actually not being able to find something that does not exist is not a failure.

Failure to produce proof what you think you have seen is a failure.

Reply to
Leon

does the pore size and shape indicate by cone or not ?

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

Not at all certain what you're asking but if there's a correlation of the size and shape of the cone to the wood characteristics, "not really"; there are different characteristics and the cone styles seem to have evolved relatively independently from the actual wood. Again,

"Non-porous woods (or softwoods, woods without vessels) can exhibit any of these three general patterns. Some softwoods such as Western red-cedar (Thuja plicata), northern white-cedar (Thuja occidentalis), and species of spruce (Picea) and true fir (Abies) have growth increments that undergo a gradual transition from the thin-walled wide-lumined earlywood cells to the thicker-walled, narrower-lumined latewood cells (Fig. 3?5B). Other woods undergo an abrupt transition from earlywood to latewood, such as southern yellow pine (Pinus), larch (Larix), Douglas-fir (Pseudotsuga menziesii), baldcypress (Taxodium disticum), and redwood (Sequoia sempervirens) (Fig. 3?5C). Because most softwoods are native to the north temperate regions, growth rings are clearly evident."

There's much more at

Chapters 2 & 3 early on and if want even more in the botanical vein there are gazillion references within...

Reply to
dpb