Lee Valley Shows its True Colo(u)rs

The policy was stated a few years ago. It may have changed. Rather than rant and spout off nonsense because he is PO'd, John should have checked to see what the policy is today. If you search the LV web site and catalog and find that policy written and still in effect, different story. I've not looked and doubt it is there. No written contract or promise exists. LV is a private owned business and can change the rules every day if they want to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

And I get to choose whether to do business with them or not, taking those rules into account.

I chose to keep doing business with them. Of course, the store 5 minutes away from work helps.

But bottom line, if I get value for money I will buy.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

That explains the hour-long 'bathroom' breaks. ;)

RicodJour

I dunno, seemed most of the ranting and raving was people attacking John for passing along information. I have no opinion on LV myself, they can charge whatever they want far as I'm concerned.

If you search the LV web site and catalog and

As long as they are a private business, and not doing anything illegal,(almost impossible considering the millions of laws "private" business must 'freely' operate under these days) they can change their policy anytime the government lets them...

I've not

I think the government should look into it, and see if Lee Valley is making obscene profits over this, like say 8% or more, and then consider imposing a "windfall profits" tax on anything over 8%. Whats good enough for XOM is good enough for LV, right?

Where's Ralph Nader when you need him?

Reply to
Jack Stein

Houses around here that were selling for $300,000 a few months ago are now offered at $225,000 with no takers.

Does that indicate anything to you?

Businesses have to change policies to meet fiscal conditions. The fact that Robin Lee didn't ask your permission to make a business decision seems to be really griping your ass. I suggest you thus don't do business with them. Find what they sell elsewhere, at similar reasonable prices with the same customer service. Good luck in that search. You'll need it.

Reply to
Charlie Self

Hi John -

I missed this this thread....

At the risk of screwing up your rant by interjecting the truth, I do have to say that we have been dropping prices overall (in Canada) for four years. In fact, last year we dropped them twice - fall 2007, and a second mass mid-year drop in Jan 2008.... we just don't print price changes for drops....

During the same period - our prices in the US market were rising (they had a Jan 2008 increase), and our difficultly had been that we couldn't raise them fast enough. Of course - when a consumer views an exchange difference (outside of current rates) they tend to interpret it from a narrow perspective... During the period the Canadian dollar appreciated, our revenues dropped from US sales (they converted into fewer CAD), and dropped in Canada (from lowered prices). For four years we (and other businesses) were caught in that squeeze.

I'd like nothing more than stable exchange rate - but failing that - we'll just keep doing what necessary to stay in business.

Have a good one....

Rob Lee Frankly - our prices reflect our costs, and our desire to stay in business

Reply to
roblee1090