Laundry platform

When I drill a hole before inserting an anchor bolt: You say "I drilled a h ole."

When I drill a hole before pulling a wire through it: You say "I drilled a hole."

When I drill a starter hole before using my jig saw: You say "I drilled a s tarter hole."

And, based upon your post, you knew that all along!

"...the most common interpretation of pre-drill is, in fact, to drill befor e driving a screw or nail..."

Context controls. The OP was, in fact, referring to drilling pilot holes - no need for "interpretation" at all.

A language has constructs, rules, if you will. Ostensibly, we were all tau ght such things as part of our education. To argue a point one needs refere nce to the rule as opposed to anecdote and references to one's subjective a pprehension of what is 'common.'

"BTW...Is it pre-drill or predrill?"

According to Miriam Webster online, the later is preferred and the former w ill serve. Since neither makes any sense, why worry about the rule for hyph enation?

Reply to
(;harles

DerbyDad03

starter hole."

ore driving a screw or nail..."

- no need for "interpretation" at all.

aught such things as part of our education. To argue a point one needs refe rence to the rule as opposed to anecdote and references to one's subjective apprehension of what is 'common.'

will serve. Since neither makes any sense, why worry about the rule for hy phenation?

Is foreplay a synonym for predrill?

I'll ask SWMBO which term she prefers.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On Saturday, November 2, 2019 at 4:10:05 PM UTC-4, Clare Snyder wrote:"I agree on pre-drilling "

Reply to
(;harles

"I couldn't glue it but I sure wish the builder had."

After a hurricane ripped the roof off house after house in Miami a few deca des back the building codes were changed and things like gluing roof sheath ing in place were adopted.

At a university, they studied the results of the hurricane and ran various tests on structures and determined that running a bead of construction adhe sive along (either side of) the joint where the rafter met the sheathing (i n the attic) would significantly reinforce the structure.

You might try this on your flooring if you have exposed floor joists you ca n access in the crawl pace or basement. Six bucks with of sub-floor adhesiv e just might make a difference.

Reply to
(;harles

If I had a good way to compress the joint after running the bead, I probably would. I don't feature sitting on the floor until the glue dries. ;-)

Reply to
krw
[...]

... brads, but I get your point.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

"If I had a good way to compress the joint after running the bead"

You run the bead ^ along the intersection of the floor joist and the sub-flooring:

============== ______________ ^| |^ | | | | | | | |

Then you press it as you would caulking. The result is that the two are joined and move together. In theory, eliminating a source of 'the squeaks.'

Reply to
(;harles

Mr Madrill ain't got time for no predrillin' LOL

Reply to
Spalted Walt

No. The vast majority of wood screws are driven into virgin wood. I've NEVER seen drywall screws go into a drilled hole. I've virtually never seen deck screws put into a drilled hole. The vast majority of sheet metal screws make their own hole. I've seen hundreds of lag bolts go into beams without drilling holes. Most screw-in hooks go in without drilling a hole

ALL bolts need to have a drilled hole. Not all screws need a drilled hole.

Love to see you put a wire through just about anything without making a hole first - whether you use a drill or an axe is up to you.

Generally it is hyphenated in North American english - can't speak for the rest of the world but I suspect it is the same.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

No. My house is over 40 years old. When replacing subflooring in older houses with plywood I often use PL as well as screws. I never NAIL subflooring any more. I DO staple hardwood - but not engineered hardwood - particularly when installing "on slab" - where it is generally glued (but sometimes, depending on the flooring, loose laid.)

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Pocket screws through the joist into the subfloor, but get the torque right.

Reply to
Markem

A total Whoosh!

Never mind, not worth the rime to explain it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Then the glue bead is taking the weight of whatever is on top with a gap between the two beads. Eventually it's going to fail and Mr. Squeaky comes back.

Reply to
krw

That's a really good idea! I think it would even be easier because my floor joists are engineered I-beams (2x3s top and bottom on OSB). I just need to get the length right. Maybe I should pre-drill it. ;-) ...and clip the points off the screws to get a longer bite.

Reply to
krw

I think I'd use clamps.

Reply to
krw

Don't know how that happened but this reply was supposed to be to Markem, below.

Reply to
krw

I would run the bead too. When someone disassembles something I built I want a bit of cussing because it is work.

Reply to
Markem

As a matter of fact, I DO pre-drill. It's not zen like, it's just looking at where the thing is aimed to make sure I don't put a hole in my head.

Again.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Agreed. As long as the joint can be tightened up, a bead of glue should work just fine. Of course it would be good to get glue as far into the joint as possible.

Reply to
krw