Laundry platform

You're missing the point.

Reply to
J. Clarke

er and dryer. Easy. But how do I get the machines up on the platform? The re?s gotta be a trick that one of you guys can share.

You could have resisted.

(No, I couldn't)

Yes, you could have.

(No, no, I couldn't.)

I told you, you could have.

(No you didn't.)

Yes, I did!

(No you didn't.)

I did!

(You didn't.)

Did.

(Oh look, this isn't an argument.)

Yes it is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

+1 . . . EGG-ZACKLY!
Reply to
Spalted Walt

This was my approach. The dryer was easy. I was mostly able to pick the whole thing up and wiggle it on the platform. The washer I tilted back and with platform against the wall, I pushed/wiggled washer on.

Reply to
Hawk

The only thing that bothered me is he glued and screwed the top on. Screws would have been more than enough. Houses are built on 2x's with nails. The glue will make it impossible to easily remove the top if you ever want or need too. The other thing was making a youtube video on making this?

Oh, and I agree on pre-drilling stuff, but don't agree it's more important with an impact driver, less important if anything.

Reply to
Jack

If you are making it to last, the ability to take it apart is not important. Glue and a few tacks would be stronger than nails or screws

- and NO chance of splitting. I agree when using an impact driver the chance of splitting is slightly reduced - but pre-drilling realy does make sense if you are screwing something together - and sometimes even when nailing.

There comes a point however when "strong enough" IS strong enough - and the advantage of glue over screws is hardly worth looking at.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Nails don't hold houses together. Weight holds everything together and even then, there is a lot of glue in a house. Why would you ever want to remove the top. Glue will greatly increase the dynamic load strength of the platform. I might not even use the screws but glue? Absolutely!

I don't think it matters as much, with the glue but I'd still pre-drill.

Reply to
krw

Really?

How does one pre-drill?

Is it some sort of Zen-like thought process?

Or is the intention to describe drilling pilot holes for screws?

Reply to
(;harles

and dryer. Easy. But how do I get the machines up on the platform? There ?s gotta be a trick that one of you guys can share.

IMHO, Gluing would be a good idea due to the dynamic loading as a result of washing/drying cycles. Not a static load situation.

Reply to
bnwelch

DerbyDad03

The machine is held together with screws you know, and usually stands on four 3/8 inch (or 9 or 10mm) bolts.

I mean if you really want to overkill it, put the design in Fusion 360 and make sure there aren't any resonant modes within the range the machine will product.

And remember that the floor it stands on isn't glued or screwed.

Reply to
J. Clarke

pre-drill - to drill before. Pretty basic semantics Drill before driving screw or nail.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Many subfloors ARE glued, particularly when used with web truss joists - and ALL of my subfloors are screwed to the joists. Glued and screwed floors do NOT squeak.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

New to woodworking? However, I see that you have your answer.

Reply to
Jerry Osage

Oh, you're assuming he has one of those modern cardboard houses.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I find this thread interesting. Over engineering and over building adds a very small percentage of the overall cost to the project.

Detractor: "You could have gotten by with just using ___."

Me: "I didn't want to just get by, For $10, and an hour more work, I went from adequate to overkill - that's cheap insurance and peace of mind - and it looks damn good."

Reply to
Jerry Osage

her and dryer. Easy. But how do I get the machines up on the platform? Th ere?s gotta be a trick that one of you guys can share.

of washing/drying cycles. Not a static load situation.

How do you know what kind of floor his laundry equipment is on?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Don't we *always* drill before doing something with the hole?

When I drill a hole before inserting an anchor bolt, should I say I pre-drilled?

When I drill a hole before pulling a wire through it, should I say I pre-drilled?

When I drill a starter hole before using my jig saw, should I say I pre-drilled?

Even though the most common interpretation of pre-drill is, in fact, to drill before driving a screw or nail, the basic semantics - "to drill before" doesn't really define what we are drilling "before".

Isn't language fun? ;-)

BTW...Is it pre-drill or predrill?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Gramps is a man. It's mandrill.

Reply to
Sonny

+1

Mine sure are (though there are a couple of places in the master bedroom that are loose. When I replaced the carpeting in a previous house, I went through all the rooms and use a few thousand screws tightening the subflooring. I couldn't glue it but I sure wish the builder had.

Reply to
krw