Favorite Method For Filling Nail Holes On Trim?

I replaced the baseboard trim, window and door casing, etc. in my living room. Pine, painted before installing.

Now I need to fill the nail holes. Lots of options...painter's putty, window glaze, spackle, etc. I'd prefer not to have to sand and prime each fill, but if I do, of course I will.

What is your favorite (hopefully quickest) method?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Paintable caulk, wet-wipe smooth and clean up is quick and easy, also.

Depending on the size of the nail head/hole, sometimes a slight dimple will result after the first filling/wipe smooth. Subsequent quick wipes, right & left- up & down, usually solves the dimple issue.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Spackle, easy to remove the excess after it dries.

Reply to
Leon

For commercial touch up and repair work were time is money we'd use Patch-N-Paint spackle. Used to get it locally from Sherwin Williams, but one of the box stores had a comparable product. When I was contracting I'd always get it from Sherwin Williams because they also did a better job of paint matching. I'd just drop off a paint sample, and come back later to pick up everything I needed.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

This stuff? No sanding or priming. That I like.

I have a tube of DAP DryDex (goes on pink, turns white when ready to sand)

Just for fun I tried "sanding" it (lightly) with a wet paper towel. It cleaned the excess off the painted trim just fine, but I can feel a slight dimple on the nail holes. I'll try normal sanding tomorrow to see if it was the wet paper towel or my application method (finger) that caused the dimple. I know, I know, use a putty knife. ;-)

This in-depth review sings the praises of 3M Patch-Plus-Primer. Not based on the inclusion of the primer, mostly on the usability of the product.

DerbyDad03

Sure that will work too. I prefer the pink shackle, it is pink until it is dried and then it turns white. Most all are very soft/easy to sand, unlike wood putty. And you can paint over all. A swipe or two with a sanding sponge is all you should need to do before painting.

Reply to
Leon