Filling nail holes on painted project

Anyone have a trick product for filling nails holes on something that is to be painted? I've used glazing putty in the past and the results are good but the stuff is a mess to work with and dries up. In a moment of desperation I tried Play-Doh (glazing putty was dried up), went in easy and cleanup was a snap but it shrinks too much.

Anyone ever try plumbers putty?

Reply to
RayV

Minwax wood filler, dries in a half hour, put it on with your finger proud of the surface and sand flush. I just filled hundreds of nail holes in a cornice and chair rail installation, works great and better than caulk or putty.

Mutt

Reply to
Pig

Painters' putty.

Reply to
Doug Payne

DAP Spackling.

Reply to
Leon

Brand name - Durham's

RicodJour

I prefer the MinWax Plastic Wood.

Reply to
scott21230

I ditto that. I've used it for years.

Max

Reply to
Max

Try painter's putty.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Uhh... How about wood putty?

Reply to
lwasserm

In addition to my suggestion of DAP Spackling, take note that if you use a filler that dries to a hard substance, remove as much as possible before it dries. If you leave a lump on the surface that is much harder than the surrounding wood as is often the case if you are going to paint the surface, sanding can leave a shallow area around the filled in hole as the wood sands away faster than the hard filler. In this case hand sanding with a piece of sand paper wrapped around a block of wood works much better than an electric sander with a cushioned bottom.

Reply to
Leon

Elmers carpenter's wood filler, dries hard ,shrink free. Comes in a plastic tube and is paintable in a few hours. Painter putty remains soft.

Reply to
R & S