Router Question

I need to dado a 3/4" width and 3/8" depth in oak plywood. I will be using a straight bit 1/2" shank carbide tip. Can I do this in one pass? What speed should I set my router?

Reply to
petegladstein

Probably so as most Oak plywood is only Oak veneer on the outside and the rest is rather soft wood. You will however also need a bit that cuts 3/4" wide and DO NOT count on the plywood fitting snugly. You will need a narrower slot for 3/4" plywood to fit into.

Reply to
Leon

You could probably do it in one pass, but unless you have 100 to do, why not just do it in two passes?

todd

Reply to
todd

This should be fine in one pass. Router bits less than 1 inch diameter should run at full speed. Fred

Reply to
Fred

I think it should be fine in 1 pass. I managed to break a 1/4" straight bit doing a 3/8" deep dado in 1 pass, but that bit was on the cheap side, and there's a lot more metal behind a 3/4" bit. If you're trying to fit 3/4" plywood into that dado, though, as a previous poster mentioned, it won't fit tightly. There are undersized plywood bits available if this is your intention. Good luck, Andy

Reply to
Andy

Pretty hard to make a 3/4" wide dado with a 1/2" wide bit. Assuming you meant the depth in one pass, yes. However, measure carefully the wood/plywood going into the dado. 3/4" stock/plywood rarely is 3/4". Also, go slow when entering and exiting, tearout can be an issue with some Oak ply. I would suggest dada first, then rip to final width. Full speed on the router bit.

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

That's a lot of removal for one pass, although it can be done with a router table, a short dado and good dust collection. 20,000 rpm is about right. You'll get better results and more safety with 2 passes.

Reply to
Phisherman

You can also do it with a bit smaller than 3/4. Do one pass then move your straight edge, edge guide, or whatever you're using to guide the router to a new position that will take out the rest of the wood necessary to obtain a dado that will give you a snug fit with the undersized plywood.

Max

Reply to
Max

"Teamcasa" wrote in news:1142528382 snipped-for-privacy@sp6iad.superfeed.net:

Dave, Read the question. Hank

Reply to
Henry St.Pierre

If your using a 2 - 3 hp router with a sharp router bit, and a good chip removal system, you could rout a 3/8 inch deep dado in oak plywood in a single pass. However, the best results would be achieved making two passes of equal depth. The recommended speed is 24,000 rpm for bits with diameters of 1" or less. There are several variables when determining the optimum speed for a router bit including bit construction, shank diameter and the materials you will be routing and the rate of feed. Since you have Internet access, I would recommend checking out

and
for some useful information. Be sure to use a backer board along the edge of your stock where the router bit will exit to avoid tearout. This will give your edge a nice finish.

Reply to
Martie in MO