prepping interior trim.

hello. i am about to repaint the trim in my hallway. I do know that there is a layer of lead paint with a coat or two of latex paint. so, i am thinking that snding is out of the question. Would the procedure be to wash down with a cleaner then use a deglosser.. then prime and paint?thanks.

Reply to
Chris

Baseboards? Take them outside and massage them with paint remover.

This will also provide an opportunity to fill the dings and otherwise tune them up. Hint: Don't remove the nails after you pry loose the boards. Cut the nails instead.

Reply to
HeyBub

Depends on how deep you want to get into this job and how many feet of base you;re talking about.

If the lead is covered with a couple layers of latex & you scuff sand / lightly sand with 220 or 180....I wouldn't owrry about the lead.

If you want the rid the house of lead (eventually) ....

either pull base & strip or pull the base & replace with new (MDF is cheap & paints up well...pine or doug fir is stronger)

as HeyBub recommends.......leave the nails in the base & cut them as flush as possible on the back face.....minimizes damage

cheers Bob

Reply to
fftt

I've been faced with similar issue, but didn't test the old, hard enamel for lead...latex on top of hard enamel will not sand; it will peel and roll off. I did peel latex from a number of doors, only because it came off in fairly large sheets, due to the door being dirty when painted. Ugh!

I would use spackle to fill deep scratches and gouges, after thorough cleaning with favorite household cleaner. Prime. Paint. We had contractor for our most recent "cover the bad news project" and that was what he recommended and, ultimately, did. I'm careful not to run the sweeper into the woodwork, so it goes well.

Some have rec. taking off the trim and stripping it. If it is modern, cheap stuff, it would likely be less expensive and a whole lot quicker to just replace it.

Reply to
norminn

Cleaner ? deglosser ?..just wipe the dust off and paint. I' ve never had a problem painting over latex with latex..the rest is just smoke and mirrors. We use Behr paint from HD..Highly rated in CR.

Reply to
Rudy

"Chris" wrote .

Chris, unless you have kids or pets knawing the baseboards, I wouldnt worry that there's lead paint under it.

If you do worry about the lead though, it leaches into the wood so you have to replace it to be totally rid of it. Mostly though you just strip it (chemical or sander) then repaint with a non-lead paint.

Lead paint wont infuse your house with nasties, unless you eat it as it peels off.

Reply to
cshenk

How big is the hallway? Cheapest least painful solution may be to rip out the trim and replace with fresh stock. If you are worried about lead, of course.

Replacement would be my first choice on any trim with multiple coats of paint, lead or no lead. Not a fan of painted trim anyway, but that is just me.

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

You can do this a variety of ways. I would consider replacing the trim, then the lead concern is not there. Without sanding, the trim is not going to be nearly as smooth as it could be.

Reply to
Phisherman